Thread: Annoying sound problem

Annoying sound problem

I have been having a problem with my sound when I am watching videos. What happens is if I am watching a movie it is fine, the volume stays at what it should be (what I set in the system tray.) But if I move around in the movie (like drag the slider to a different part), the volume like maxes out. (it doesn't change any actual settings that I can find but it gets really freakin loud.) It is like someone turned the volume all the way up. But if I pause it or stop it and play again it goes back to normal, it only happens if I move around in the movie. I thought it was my player, but I have tried differnet ones and it didn't make a difference. I have XP Pro, and an SB Audigy 2 sound card. I have lived with this for a while but I was watching a clip of a car crash and i toggled near the end and all I heard was some girl screaming "OH S***" so loud my ears were ringing. I figure it is time to fix it now. TIA.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    have you del the soundcard drivers and the audio codecs then reboot and reinstall the drivers. thats what I would do first off.

*edit* just incase you dont know where to del its in the device manager.

how would I go about deleteing and reinstalling the codecs. I had some codec problems before, if I try to move around in certain movie files the video will freeze.

Delete by clicking Start, the right click on My Computer and then Properties. Now click the Hardware tab and then select Device Manager. Now click the "+" beside Sound, video and game controllers. Highlight each item and delete.

Restart computer and reinstall drivers.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition