Thread: Just installed xp media center, couple of problems

Just installed xp media center, couple of problems

I got a new computer, and i installed xp media center on it. I am getting some problems, and i'm not sure if they have to do with xp media center, or my hardware, or my software, or what. Thanks in advance for the help!

Problem 1: Wired connection speed incredibly slow. When i connect to the net through my NIC, it basically doesn't work. ITs super slow, transfers at like 2k/sec and i'm on cable. my roomates computers are fine and when i plug in my cable into their computers it works fine, so i know its something wrong with my software/hardware. When i change my connection setting to 10mbit/sec HALF DUPLEX, it gets a lot better. However, my downloads still go about half as slow as my friends. If i change to any full duplex setting or 100mbit/sec half duplex, its rediculously slow. So right now, i am using my wireless card.

Problem 2: I can't download java vm onto my computer. When i try to go to the download page, it brings me to the "cannot find server" page in IE 6 and when i use firefox it says "document contains no data". I've tried on my roomates comp and they have no problems. When i search through google and go directly into the download page, it says i can't download because
    " We encountered an issue while trying to automatically install Java™ software onto your machine. As a result, Java software was not installed properly."

thats about it for now, i had some random problems with my windows services not automatically starting on boot up, but i reinstalled windows and fixed that. sigh, it hurts to see my new computer dying. thanks for the help!!!

[edit] some more info on my connection. it seems i just can't get into certain sites sometimes, like i cna't get into espn.com right now using any connection (wireless, 10mbithalf) nothing works. roomates have no problems
    Last edited by jyeh3112; October 20th, 2004 at 06:00 AM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    first off did you install sp2. because with prob 1 there is a reg fix for the # of connections.This is mainly for P2P apps, or you can try this
    Make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator".
    Start->Run->type gpedit.msc
    Expand the "Local Computer Policy" branch.
    Expand the "Administrative Templates" branch.
    Expand the "Network Branch".
    Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window.
    In right window double-click the "Limit Reservable Bandwidth" setting.
    On setting tab check the "Enabled" item.
    Where it says "Bandwidth limit %" change it to read 0.
    Effect is immediate on some systems, some need to re-boot. This is more of a "counter
    what XP does" thing. In other words, programs can request up to 20% of the bandwidth be
    reserved for them, even with QoS disabled.

problem 2

I would go into internet options and del windows temp files, cookies, temp internet files, then go into objects and remove any objects you find. then change your security to low. and see if you can download MS virtual Machine
    or you can get sun java from here

still not working

i tried what you suggested to fix the halfduplex problem ,but it didn't work. infact, my connection stoped working completely and i had to reinstall all the drivers and stuff. SO my problem still remains, if i use any setting other than 10mbits/sec half duplex, it is incredibly slow. slow to the point where it takes minutes to load webpages.

my other problem still exists too. i just can't reach certain sites. like i still can't reach the download page for the java vm,. i can get in to espn now, although, not all the time. i have to hit the refresh button a whole bunch until randomly it connects. otherwise i guess if it doesn't get a response fast enough it just times out and gives me the "page unreachable" page.

please help! and thanks!
    Last edited by jyeh3112; October 22nd, 2004 at 09:22 AM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Sounds like DNS problems.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    firewall configurations?