Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    from what I read the NDVD codec from nvidia is the best dvd codec for MCE. I installed it and now I can play dvds in MCE and Media Player fine. also get the Kazaa codec pack that has almost everything you need to play video.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    from what I read the NDVD codec from nvidia is the best dvd codec for MCE. I installed it and now I can play dvds in MCE and Media Player fine. also get the Kazaa codec pack that has almost everything you need to play video.
    Phish,
    Does your tv tuner card have no functionality at all? I mean can you install the driver? Can you get it to work with the MSI software?

Just wondering.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Guess what guys. PowerDVD 6 includes a DivX codec and is giving me great MPEG2 results. I haven't tried a fresh install yet, but that is the only codec-related app I have installed at the moment and everything is working great - better IMHO than the Nvidia codec.

More info and a free demo can be found here.
    Last edited by SupaStar; November 23rd, 2004 at 21:32 PM. Reason: Grammar

Thanks for the advice, got my video working.... now im having CD/DVDROM errors....hmmm........
    Last edited by cklotz; November 28th, 2004 at 16:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cklotz
    Thanks for the advice, got my video working.... now im having CD/DVDROM errors....hmmm........
    Like what?

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Cash, it is just XP SP2 with a few extra media type programs, one of which is Media Center which is a central remote controllable application to manage/view/watch/listen to your MP3s, TV, DVDs, MPGs and AVIs. You dont have to run the Media Center app if you dont want to, but it's there if you do and works really well with a great interface.

I'd say that all TV cards are hardware based, its just the MCE will only work with those that use WDM drivers (for analogue cards) or BDA drivers (for digital cards). At least I think thats how it all works.

Come over for a demo (it seriously rocks) but be advised that I only have two channels so far...so we can't watch The Simpsons.

I would also add, unless mentioned after this post.

It is like XP SP2 "home" edition, it doesn't have the "pro" ability to join domains and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I would also add, unless mentioned after this post.

It is like XP SP2 "home" edition, it doesn't have the "pro" ability to join domains and stuff
    True, but it's kind of in between home and pro from what I've been reading. You can join a domain, but only during a fresh installation which makes it useful for home users, but not corporations.

It has a few pro-only features too such as Remote Desktop Connections and the like.

well I 've had it going for sometime now and to tell you the thruth havent used the MCE part hardly ever.

Music- winamp
    dvds- powerdvd 6
    vids- BS player pro
    pictures- adobe album or XP's picture fax viewer
    movie making- ulead dvd factory3
    messenger- trillian 3.0 beta

I am wondering if you can install the TV tuner for the MSI TV@nywhere and use the MSI software to get it to work?

I am going to try this out tonight I think.

the msi software works fine just not thru the mce control panel.

That's good news. Well i can't install it tonight.. so I will try again tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    well I 've had it going for sometime now and to tell you the thruth havent used the MCE part hardly ever.
    But isn't that just because your TV doesnt work in MCE or is it that you don't like the interface?

I use it exclusively because it's all remote controllable.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Supa, what version of MCE are you running? I heard the Australian released version only support ananlog TV and not Digital HD TV cards?? Does support mean there is no M$ WHQL certified drivers for the cards, or that MCE just wont work at all??

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I know this is kinda late but I want to know if MCE is a stand alone OS, or does it need XP before installation