Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I can't install Service Pack 2.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    thats what I was gonna suggest FG. Then if you have the sp1 on cd then run that. Then go to c:\windows\temp and C:\temp <<<if you have this... and del the contents of the folders.

Then RT click on the internet explorer and go to properties. click on the delete cookies, delete files, and clear history buttons. Then go to the security tab and click on the internet icon and change the slider to none, click ok.

Next go to start>>>run and type msconfig and click on the startup tab. From there uncheck everything. This will shutdown anything that starts on boot up. Windows will ask you to reboot when you get to windows you'll get a pop up about you're doing a manual blah.blah....just put a check in the box and click ok.

Next empty recycle bin.

turn off firewall and antivirus.

and get online and try to do a windows update. If it fails try to download the 266meg network file here . [1]

If you can download it try and run the Sp2 file and see if it will install. If it doesn't I'm at a loss. Unless you want to reformat and reinstall. Or use the recovery cd that comes with most store bought Pc's.
    [1] I already downloaded the 274MB SP2 network update when fast game said to. It just will not install.

I do not want to do a reformat. I would lose a lot of files. Could I just do the 'REPAIR' function with the recovery CD and not lose files?

Thank you
    Last edited by veronica; November 6th, 2004 at 07:06 AM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    I do not want to do a reformat. I would lose a lot of files. Could I just do the 'REPAIR' function with the recovery CD and not lose files?

Thank you
    Yes you can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Yes you can do that.
    Thank you
    Last edited by veronica; November 6th, 2004 at 19:40 PM. Reason: mis-spelled

Doesnt 'repair' format the windows partition (drive c ) and copy an original working copy of windows back on it? Better have your files on another partition when you try this Veronica.
    Get Quintessential player, the alternative to winamp! ( www.quinnware.com )

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Mundi
    Doesnt 'repair' format the windows partition (drive c ) and copy an original working copy of windows back on it? Better have your files on another partition when you try this Veronica.
    No repair doesn't format. All previously installed programs will still be there afterwards. I did a "repair" install once when I changed motherboards (they were both the same chipset however).

Veronica, are you using logonui or bootxp? Both create backups of the default ntoskrnl.exe and can be recovered by using the program itself.

If you're using logonui, follow these instructions:
    http://www.belchfire.net/~userxp/fixproblems.htm

Hope this works.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    No repair doesn't format. All previously installed programs will still be there afterwards. I did a "repair" install once when I changed motherboards (they were both the same chipset however).
    I guess that depends from what manufactor the computer was shipped from (eg Dell or HP or Toshiba). My dad once did a repair using a recovery CD and he had to reboot with the cd in the drive and before the process could initiate there was a warning message that the drive would be formatted and windows would be restored to how it was just when he got the notebook.
    Get Quintessential player, the alternative to winamp! ( www.quinnware.com )

Quote Originally Posted by coathanger007
    Veronica, are you using logonui or bootxp? Both create backups of the default ntoskrnl.exe and can be recovered by using the program itself.

Hope this works.
    I changed the bootscreen previously. I had the software to do it at one time. It was gone after a previous reformat. I uninstalled 'Logon Loader' before I tried Installing SP2. It still did not install. Advice?

Thank you all.

If you reformatted the Hard disk and reinstalled Windows then you should have the default ntoskrnl.exe already. This is clearly not the case. Are you sure you formatted the Windows drive and didn't reinstall a bootscreen modifying app? Logon Loader only changes the logon screen not the bootscreen. It has nothing to do with ntoskrnl.exe. Only concrned with logonui and bootxp unless there are others out there that I'm not aware of.

Did you try the link I gave?

Hope this works.
    At one time I had logon boot randomizer. It

created a 2nd way to boot with the custom screen and left the original boot
    screen. I reinstalled and reformatted about 6 months ago. It eliminated

logon boot randomizer and the original way to boot up. It left the custom

boot screen. I did not reinstall logon boot randomizer. Maybe I should install

'logon boot randomizer'. Maybe it will put back the file I am missing. What do

you think? I have NTFS, not FAT 32. JMO

If you reformatted the Hard disk and reinstalled Windows then you should have the default ntoskrnl.exe already. This is clearly not the case. Are you sure you formatted the Windows drive and didn't reinstall a bootscreen modifying app? Logon Loader only changes the logon screen not the bootscreen. It has nothing to do with ntoskrnl.exe. Only concrned with logonui and bootxp unless there are others out there that I'm not aware of.

Did you try the link I gave?
    I looked at the link you provided. It does not apply because I only have 1 way to boot up. Thank you for your help.

Nope. We obviously have different definitions of reformat. My definition (the official one) is where everything on the hard disk is wiped out. That includes the modified bootscreen.
    Don't reinstall logon randomizer as it will create a backup of your current modified ntoskrnl.exe which you don't want. Just follow the instructions in the link I gave you. That should fix it...I hope.

Veronica, I don't think you used the recovery console method in the link. That should fix it.

Veronica, I don't think you used the recovery console method in the link. That should fix it.
    It says for advanced users. I

am afraid to try it. I am just going to let it be the way it is. I will install SP2

after the next time I reinstall Windows XP with the disc the computer

company gave me with my computer. Thank you for all your help. I have

other problems and may be reinstalling Windows XP sooner than I

thought.

It's easy. Just follow these steps:
    1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive.
    4. A Windows Setup Dialog Box appears. The Windows Setup Dialog Box describes the Recovery Console option. To confirm the installation, click Yes.
    5. Restart the computer. The next time that you start your computer, "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" appears on the startup menu

Logon to recovery console then type:
    ren c:\boot.ini c:\bootno.ini
    Reboot.
    You will see a warning about missing boot.ini, but windows will use the default ntoskrnl.exe file located at system32 folder to boot the PC.
    Last edited by coathanger007; November 8th, 2004 at 08:19 AM.