Thread: My Xoops

My Xoops

I have had my website for about 4 years. The first 3 years were with static pages. I rarely updated the site because I had to recode everything.

Next I tried Mambo. It was pretty cool, but while editing a news item, it logged me out in the background and 45 minutes worth of writing was lost. I uninstalled it right after that.

Now I use Xoops. Not quite as simple as mambo, but lots of good modules.
    The Newbb2 forum I just installed has lots of nice features.

Anyone else here use Xoops? And your thoughts about it?

My website URL is in my sig.

TODO's for now,

Customize a theme for my site (using a premade one for now.)

Trim dow the modules on the front page (since I am new to this, trying them all right now .)

But overall, it makes adding content much easier. And that makes me happy.

Titanium Member
    Nice site. I would be completely lost using an app to create a website. My first site was a copy paste source of another and changing all the links and images to mine. I wish I knew XHTML so I could convert my website but I don't know much html as it is. It would be nice if it were possible for an app to create perfect xhtml just entering your site's URL.
    Last edited by lynchknot; November 19th, 2004 at 08:25 AM.

Acually, it makes it much easier. You just type the info, format the text and post. Sort of like a blog.

And all links, even to pictures are done automajikly.

Titanium Member
    That style is not really usable for my type of site though. (it appears, but I'm usually wrong! )

The theme I am using now is just something that I found that caught my eye and used it. I want to customize a complete theme for my site eventually and make it unique.

Some of the theme developers are working on a tableless design, which is something I would be interested in. Also standards compliant (although hard to obtain in Xoops, but possible.)

Titanium Member
    I have a 138 errors on my themes page but it works for all browsers but Opera (text hover color sticks) - http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...2Ffthemes.html

The latest version of Mambo is greatly improved over previous versions.

Well I am now using the newest Xoops 2.0.10. And the devs are working on version 2.1 and a completely new version codenamed Xoosphere.

Version 2.0.10 in corporates a introduces a token system for securing forms against CSRF attacks. That make Xoops one of the most secure CMS on the market. Additionally, the protector module guards your site from other unwanted nasties.

I have finally updated my theme to a custom made theme, with right and left columns are able to be hidden to maximize space for my tutorials (Xoops flash Tutorials).

I am still very happy with Xoops. Glad I found them after tripping through Mambo.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    I implemented Mamboservers for several several CMS sites in my organization. I spent most of my time training the end users how to work their sites. It looks like I'm heading towards Zope and Plone since the size on my organization jumped by about 300+ sites. My web farm is getting huge. So for an Enterprised-based system, it looks like it's going to be Zope and Plone.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig