Thread: Internet IP and Domain?

Smile Internet IP and Domain?

Hey everyone!

First time poster so just wanah say hey to everyone! lol

Anyway, i was wondering if any of you guys could help me out, at the moment out current set up is a Modem, Router, and PCS and its used purely to share the internet.

Now i recently added a 2003 Server to the router and set up some users, etc. And all was good except the unacceptable logon times. So i added the DNS server IP the the XP Machines and all works fine except now none of the PCS can use the net

Is it possible so the 2003 Server forwards all internet requests onto the modem? or would i have to set up a Proxy ...as i REALLY dont want to use a proxy server.

cheers for all your help in advanced,

Jak

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I had this same issue and forgot how I got it sorted. It had do with a setting on the windows 2003 server. If I can remember I will post it. It really pissed me off.. I am sure it was a setting in the server properties... I can't believe I forgot how to do this..

Wink Thanks

thanks for the help lol :P

But ive noticed something REALLY REALLY weired....at the momeent as you know the Modem plugs into the router and the router throws out the DHCP and internet...Now the server is plugged into the router and so are all the clients...now all the clients can log on (and if they havent got the DNS IP added they can use the net too) but yet the server cant get on the net either :S

But as the server has DNS it has to have a static IP meaning a DNS IP has to be added to its network card...i tried typing in the one of the modem but it cant see it :s but it can see the router fine....but yet all my other clients can see the moderm and the router....confused yet? lol

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

But lets say that i plug the modem str8 into the back of the Server and then plug the server into the router....what DECENT Proxy could i use that would support like everything on my clients such as MSN, Email, FTP, etc, etc.

Thanks again for all the help ppl,

Jak