Thread: Can't get past Microsoft networking password

Can't get past Microsoft networking password

I hope someone can help with this.

I was given a computer with windows 98 I believe Millenium edition for a present. It isn't a really new puter but not really old either. I know it has an intel pentium III processor but I have not been able to acces any more info.

I can not get past the Microsoft Networking password. It was purchased from a business that went out of business. They (as far as I know cuz I havent gotten into the windows yet) deleted all of their files, and business info from the computer, but they left the networking settings on it.

I found out how to clear the cmos setup password so I could get into the bios, but I can not find any info on how to get rid of the networking password. It tells me that the network is not available to verify my password so I will not be able to access part of the operating system.

I can't even get it to start up in safe mode or in dos.

I can not find any way to get that password out, other than reformatting the hard drive, I can not open the start menu or any thing other than a couple of things like microsoft office, word pad etc. I can not even open the start menu.
    Is there any way to clear that password setting. The company is looong gone so if not I guess I'll have to have it reformatted.
    Thanks a million for any info you all can give me.

Zookian.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    DO you have an image of what the error message is?

Is this a workstation machine? If it is, and it sounds like it is, you might want to go ahead and reformat it anyway. Also because it was preinstalled, you might want to just start over. Who knows what kind of files and so on are stored on the PC. Might as well get rid of them, install again, and start with fresh OS.

I recommend it to all friends whom buy used computers. I've bought one used PC for a family member and the first thing I did was format it, and start over. It just guarantees that you are starting from a new OS on a fresh format. That way you can set it up how you like, and you don't have to deal with the issues like you are having now.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I would reformat too.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Agreed. It's best to start with a clean install. Especially if you aren't able to get into safe mode or even a command prompt.

Is it a netware password prompt you are looking at?
    The windows one can be easily bypassed by pressing escape or clicking cancel. Booting with the ctrl key down will take you to the boot prompt screen where you can choose safe mode. It is a good idea to boot to safe mode or bypass the pw into windows so you can see what hardware you have and make sure the drivers are easily found.
    After that you will want to wipe and reload all the same.

ok thanks all sorry it took me so long to get back, I did reformat and that took care of 90% of the problems. However, i have one other, now when I go to msconfig or a few other system tools, it tells me that I have to be logged on as the administrator to make the changes. I am the administrator, that is the only user set up for this computer.
    I know this is rather vague, it took me to the administrator tools where permissions and access is set, I want all of it set to allow me to make changes. Maybe this is too deep for my experience but even if i can use the msconfig and a few others i would be happy and probably close enough to my limits to keep me satisified.
    thanks all for your responses, you have been a major help to me.
    Zookian

i've never had to be logged into the admin account to make changes to my msconfig. tho i have been in another account with admin privilages.

just a thought... the real "Administrator" account becomes hidden once you make any other account on the machine (i assume we're talking XP here). make sure that you are actually on the "Administrator" account, and not just an accound with administrative privilages.