Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visual Studio Tools for Office v.2005 beta

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar

Visual Studio Tools for Office v.2005 beta

I am trying to teach myself how to use the title app. I haven't a clue as to any of the languages (vb, vba, c, etc.) I've downloaded the Estimate sample and am trying to follow directions.

Problem #1: How can I open a file in Excel from within Visual Studio? (See attached.)

In case I've been too subtle, H - E - L- P!

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Titanium Member
    From within visual studio? hmmm, sorry I don't understand.

OK. Here's the first problem:
    There's a dropdown list box in estimate.xls, from which you're supposed to select the customer's name. When I click it, nothing happens.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I couldnt extract the contents of that sample.zip file... however I think the sample project and corresponding code is actually an Excel Sheet with builtin Macros or VBA code. So... I dont think you can actually open it using Visual Studio, more like try using the Macro Editor or VBA design mode within Excel.

For your question about the dropdown box, see if you can find out where the dropdown box is supposed to retrieve information from ie sheet1, cell A2 etc and see if there is any data there.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Apparently, I also have to install MDSE, which is a 42mb download, and I'm on dialup...

love, piaqt

It looks like a good tutorial and great example of the upcoming design tools, however you will need to download and install the Studio 2005, MSDE 2005 and anything else perhaps .NET framework 1.1 too.

Your best bet might be to simply use a download manager and let it run overnight or on weekend, or get some of the guys here to download it fast and post a cd to you.

How did you find out about this stuff? I only recently went to a Microsoft Training Session for the new 2005 version design studios??

Good luck with it, there are some amazing new features to use... feature panes or future pains

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

From the MSDE readme file:
    If the installation does not succeed, an entry similar to the following will be at the end of the log:

=== Logging stopped: 5/15/03 23:50:34 ===
    MSI (c) (6A:CE): Product: Microsoft SQL Server Desktop Engine -- Installation operation failed.

If the installation failed, search for the string "value 3" in the error log. Within 10 lines of the string will be a failure notice for a custom action. The notice will have additional information about the nature of the failure.
    I can find 3 "value 3" reerences in the log file, but can't find any decipherable (to me) failure notices\explanations.

I've attached a rar'ed copy of the log file. Would you look through it and tell me if you can determine WHY installation fails?

If I were given to tearing out my hair, at this point, I'd resemble Sinead O'Conner.

love, piaqt

Hmmm... i went through the log file, and it was quite verbose to say the least. Yes there were no real problems that would cause the installation to fail, but perhaps there are some prerequistes for the install.

Ensure you have Admin rights - even better would be to log in as 'Administrator' and try the install. Ensure you have .NET framwork 1.1 sp 2 (?) installed, run windows updates to see if there any windows components updates (like the ones when first installing Visual Studio .NET 2003).

Did this install process, uninstall the partial files? Check add/remove programs, and ensure that MSSQL server or MSDEngine is removed.

Hope it works out.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Hmmm... i went through the log file, and it was quite verbose to say the least. Yes there were no real problems that would cause the installation to fail, but perhaps there are some prerequistes for the install.

Ensure you have Admin rights - even better would be to log in as 'Administrator' and try the install. Ensure you have .NET framwork 1.1 sp 2 (?) installed, run windows updates to see if there any windows components updates (like the ones when first installing Visual Studio .NET 2003).

Did this install process, uninstall the partial files? Check add/remove programs, and ensure that MSSQL server or MSDEngine is removed.

Hope it works out.
    Yes, I have admin rights. I'm dl'ing .net 1.1 sp1 as I write. I checked add\remove, and no listing for MSSQL server or MSDEngine. Been to update. Got everything already. Great minds hope alike.

And THANK YOU for the help. If it works, I'll let you know.

Update:
    File this under "should have checked this first"
    I enabled server service, and installed MDSE as "instance one". Of course, it worked. And so, to bed.
    Last edited by piaqt; December 18th, 2004 at 03:17 AM.

love, piaqt

Well glad you got that niggling problem sorted out...

So what now? Do you have visual studio office tools installed? Development practice... have fun If you need a tester, feel free ask

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well glad you got that niggling problem sorted out...

So what now? Do you have visual studio office tools installed? Development practice... have fun If you need a tester, feel free ask
    It's installed. Now I have to learn the languages. Any recommendations for tutorials?

love, piaqt

Visual Studio 2005 and Office Tools 2005, are really new, still in Beta... There might be a couple of online sites around, in a couple of months there will be plenty

Actually, that MSDN website had a list of good 'hands-on labs' and tutorial. That should be your first port of call.

Have you done some programming before, what types and languages? For most part, the majority of languages are quite similar, especially for Visual GUI in windows/office. Probably the easiest one would be VB .net, as it is simply Drag/Drop controls onto a form and object orientated programming in the form object.method() or object.property.value = XXX etc etc

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

these should give a good starting point, and perhaps link to other good sites. Cheers.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Probably the easiest one would be VB .net, as it is simply Drag/Drop controls onto a form and object orientated programming in the form object.method() or object.property.value = XXX etc etc

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

these should give a good starting point, and perhaps link to other good sites. Cheers.
    Thanks, and I sort of know what you mean. In CSS, it's item: description, in HTML, it's item=description, and in VB it's item.description. (?)

love, piaqt

Yeah thats it Piaqt, VB is sort of similar to Java in terms of usuable syntax.
    Good luck, let me know when you start making some programs

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Yeah thats it Piaqt, VB is sort of similar to Java in terms of usuable syntax.
    Good luck, let me know when you start making some programs
    Don't know Java, either. Or jscript, or....

And that, o best beloved, is why I decided to teach myself VS 2K5 b.

love, piaqt