Thread: screen size

screen size

after i had to re format this computer the screen size is now stuck on 640 by 480.... its hurting my eyes lol and its hard to use like this.... i cant change it like u normally would by right clicking on the desktop and clicking prpperties and settings.... is there another way i change it or why am i not able to do it this way?

Titanium Member
    You can go to control panel/display and get the properties dialog.

ok thats great, but its not much help lol

Titanium Member
    You asked if there is another way to get to display properties dialog. How was I supposed to know the dialog itself is not working - or whatever it is that is not. You are not giving enough information to make any sort of determination.

You cannot see this dialog box? See the little screen resolution slider?

Last edited by lynchknot; December 25th, 2004 at 04:37 AM.

I think that you need to download and install the video drivers for your card. You are using Windows basic drivers that only allow 640x480. Probably not much color either.

ya it was the drivers... but it doesnt matter now, theres some stupid error i think i have to format it again lol.... god i thinkill just throw that stupid thing away, when i turn it on it goes to a black screen like dos and sez theres a windwos error and it needs to bve restarted/// so i resart it and it show me the screen where i can pick safe mode so i do and i cant do anything in safe mode... scan disk causes errors wen it runs, i cant turn the comp off from safe mode and i can get on the interent and the screen is back to 640 by 480 or watever.... POS.... i dont think fixingg it is worth the efrfort

All I needed to read was "just installed windows". This problem is typical of new windows installations after which the End User is unaware that the correct drivers for both the Video Card and the Monitor likely need to be installed before they will be able to fine tune the Screen settings.

One might also suggest that you should be sure to install the drivers specific to your Motherboard chipset before installing any other drivers or programs (except possibly a ZIP program in some cases where you would need it to unzip a driver file). And do not install your Anti-virus or Firewall until the very last.

And if you have the system deliberately overclocked you should bring it back down to a normal speed for the installation of Windows and subsequent drivers.
    Download links for Slimbrowser:
    Lite Edition of Slimbrowser | Regular Edition of Slimbrowser

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
    by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
    And, by these choices, define ourselves. Richard N. Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by oftentired
    All I needed to read was "just installed windows". This problem is typical of new windows installations after which the End User is unaware that the correct drivers for both the Video Card and the Monitor likely need to be installed before they will be able to fine tune the Screen settings.

One might also suggest that you should be sure to install the drivers specific to your Motherboard chipset before installing any other drivers or programs (except possibly a ZIP program in some cases where you would need it to unzip a driver file). And do not install your Anti-virus or Firewall until the very last.

And if you have the system deliberately overclocked you should bring it back down to a normal speed for the installation of Windows and subsequent drivers.
    I'm agree with you oftentired. The only correct installation sequence that made my PC working fine with custom screen setting is:
    1. Restore any setting to default
    2. Chipset AGP driver
    3. Monitor driver
    4. Graphic card driver

Titanium Member
    hmmmm. I never had the problem. I installed windows many times. I've never seen 640x480. His question was, "is there another way i change it" - so I answered his question.
    Last edited by lynchknot; December 30th, 2004 at 17:52 PM.