Thread: The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide Rev. 6.0

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

The Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide Rev. 6.0

Adrian's Rojak Pot have thrown up Rev. 6.0 of their flashing your Radeon 9800 Pro To Radeon 9800XT Mod Guide by adding the following pages: Added a note stating that the 256MB section only applies to Radeon 9800 Pro cards using the Radeon 9800XT PCB. (Page 4) and Updated Identifying The Moddable 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro (Page 8) and Added the Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder. (Page 3)! Here's a snip.

The 256MB ATI Radeon 9800 Pro is probably the least popular ATI graphics card. It is a lot more expensive than the 128MB variant and the extra 128MB of memory proved rather useless. But while you may think that it is a sheer waste of money, it may actually turn out to be a real steal! Why? Because Now, what is interesting is the new batches of 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro graphics cards are actually Radeon 9800XT cards!

Click HERE for the GUIDE to mod your Radeon 9800 Pro To 9800XT.

Source

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Haha,

Can i mod my ATI RADEON 9600 PRO to an XT one as well?

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx...ar1=114&var2=0

VOLTAGE modification guides for 9600 pro and XT models. Should help you get better performance out of your card.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Thx BB, this looks quite interesting, and the guys have done some extensive research

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    Any luck for my 9500 pro? I already bios flashed it to 9700 - is there more?

Apart from voltage changing, can i flash my 9600 PRO to improve it's performance?

Also, i would like to purchase memory heat sinks, because my card lacks them.

Any recommendations?

An update on my successful overclocking:

The cards originally specs were as follows:

400mhz CPU, 225mhz DDR Memory (450mhz) in total,

I successfully overclocked the card to:

454mhz CPU, 255mhz DDR Memory (510mhz) in total,

Anything more then these settings causes the pc to crash, it's nothing to do with heat either, because i was feeling up the chips and CPU to see if they ran red hot and they didn't.

I've seen a 5-10% performance increase in all games

What guide did you use for your overclocking? What tools? What driver version?

Glad to see the performance increase.

That link you gave me in the PM wasn't really a guide BB, so i just done everything myself.

I'm using Omega Catalyst Drivers v2.5.97a, and overclocking with the RadLinker.

I bought my ATI 9600 PRO on the cheap, i got the budget cut down version called ADVANTAGE, it has the same CPU speed as an ATI 9600 PRO, but with lower memory of 225mhz, instead of 300mhz.

Huge saving though, but i've capitalized by overclocking the card to 255mhz (510mhz) anyway, it's only shy of the 600mhz of it's bigger brother by 90mhz.

Means a lot in the graphics card world though, the memory speed is more important then the CPU speed i've learned!

Upping the speed of the CPU by 50mhz, upped the game FPS by only 4fps, but upping the memory by 20mhz gave the same performance boost!

So memory speed is definately what people should be looking for when they are buying a card, or overclocking.

I'm currently testing out a memory speed of 260mhz, seems stable at the moment, but will have to stress it out with a solid hours gaming of UT 2004 to see if it crashes

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Let us know the results Gimie...I think I'm just about ready to start OCing my 9600 too!

Np supastar, the new memory setting of 260mhz works absolutely fine

But i did try 265mhz, and i started to get white spots in game, indicating i had reached the limit of the overclocking experienced and dropped the mhz back down to 260mhz.

I would definately recommend O/C your graphics card, it seems that the card makers send out the cards on standard settings, not 100% utilized.

My guess this would be to play it safe, keep the cards life as long as possible and to save money

I've O/C my card with no problems what so ever, i'm constantly touching the memory chips and the cpu heatsink to check the heat, and everything is warm, not hot, at least the temperatures are the same as they was before i overclocked it.

While i was at it, i decided i'll overclock my CPU as well, i got an extra 200mhz out of my athlon, but anything more and the pc was unstable, dispite excellent cooling.

Athlon XP Bartons ain't very good at overclocking huh people?

Even with the extra 200mhz, my CPU idle temp is still 36-38o, and when playing games like DOOM 3 and FarCry at maximum settings, the CPU temp doesn't go past 44o.

I'm loving these temperatures

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    sounds like you have a prety nice system Gimmie, with some choice budget mods that give excellent results... if only people realised the real potential of their hardware, they might be able to save $$$ instead of buying the latest 3.8Ghz Machine etc etc... well at least they make the budget parts cheaper for us

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Thanks for the info Gimmie.