Thread: Timedate.cpl

Timedate.cpl

so i can't access my little calender or time zone box through the control panel or a double-click on the time in the bottom-right corner of my screen; found a solution online but it says i could really screw up my registry and then of course windows

microsoft says there is no guarantee that i can fix an error i make in RegEdit: Here is the article with the solution

does anyone know or think that it is safe for me to try what they say here? i've created a key in RegEdit (a key is one of the files in RegEdit) and thought it might work but haven't tried it yet. any suggestions?

on another note, my Find option on the Start Menu only has one thing in it and that is "Using Microsoft Outlook". is there any way i can fix that myself?

thanks

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    What version of Windows are you using?

Windows 98 SE

we had some virus that was hidden i think and we took it to someone to fix, when we got it back a bunch of stuff was missing, ie the time/date thing, the Find option on the start menu, as well as the CD drives....for some reason they would only register on the system (through Windows Explorer) every other time i turned on the computer
    Last edited by catch20who; January 2nd, 2005 at 18:09 PM. Reason: adding more info to the post

A simple registry change of the kind your discussing should cause no harm. Just back the registry up first (you know it is backed up once a day already by windows) and you should be just fine.
    Download links for Slimbrowser:
    Lite Edition of Slimbrowser | Regular Edition of Slimbrowser

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
    by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
    And, by these choices, define ourselves. Richard N. Patterson

quick question, where's the registry backed up to in case of a problem?

thanks again

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    When you run REGEDIT there is an "export" option under File. You can choose to export it to wherever you want.

On a sidenote, in Win 98 you can reboot into DOS, run SCANREG /RESTORE. This will allow you to restore an older copy of the Registry. Normally you will have several Registry dates that you can restore back to. If possible choose one prior to the virus infection.

Here is more information on how to do this.

ok, thanks again

it did not work though so i think i'm either going to have to check when i restart the system or see if i can copy the file from another system with the same op

thanks to all