Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminal server web connection

Terminal server web connection

Does anybody have a clue how to set up terminal server web connection? I've tried some of the things that microsoft has posted but so far I haven't gotten it to work.

According to them you need ts client enabled on both host and client. I've done that. Then they say open a browser and type in tsweb. I've done that and it says "page cannot be displayed."

Any suggestions?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    see if thishelps.

Phishhead, YOU 'DA MAN!! You rock!

You have no idea how long it has taken me to get Remote Desktop Web Connection to work. Thanks for your help.

My next kid will be named Phishhead Jr. :0)

Dude5722

no problem believe me was looking all over for something like this that didnt use a client so I could use it at work without big brother. Then when you are connected the host pc is locked out so someone from the house couldnt kick me off.

I got it to work, but somehow I don't think I have things configured quite right... When I get the Web Connection logon screen, it only works when I put in my router's ip address, not the ip address of my actual workstation. Is this the way it works??

Correction, my dsl modem's ip address.

then you need to portforward TCP port 3389 and the port you setup in the IIS default page. then when you try to connect to HTTP://ipaddressort#/tsweb it should redirect to your pc. and if you have multi pcs you can just use different ports. Also I would recommend a DNS app like NO-IP.com if your isp doesn't assign static ips. Then this way regardless of your ip you will be able to connect.

If i'm not mistaken, this is exactly how I have it set up. My router is set to forward port 3389 & my specified web page port to my workstation. However, when I try to connect from work, I get a msg stating that it cannot connect.

now when you connect are you connecting to the router's ip address? if so then it seems like a routing issue. I was having the same issue and reformatted thinking the OS was messed up but still having the issues. So I set my router to default factory settings then flashed the firmware and now I'm able to connect via RPP and netmeeting.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude5722
    I got it to work, but somehow I don't think I have things configured quite right... When I get the Web Connection logon screen, it only works when I put in my router's ip address, not the ip address of my actual workstation. Is this the way it works??
    Yes this is how it works when you are trying to connect from outside your WAN (router) to a PC inside your LAN.

You will enter your Router/Modem IP, then you must configure your Router/Modem to port forward, specifiying the actual LAN PC to connect to The limitation here, is that you can only connect to one PC

You might be able to get around this by using VPN, then you should be able to directly Remote Connect to any LAN pc

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

My DSL modem is connected to my router. My router is all set up to forward port 3389 and the specified web page port to my workstation ip address. When I attempt to login to Remote Desktop Web Connection, it will NOT work when I enter in my workstation ip address. It only works when I enter the DSL MODEM ip address in the Server field as opposed to the workstation ip address. The Microsoft document that Phish referred me to says to use the workstation ip address. DHCP is currently turned off (as per the help in my router). I have set my workstation ip address to a static ip so as to avoid any possible ip problems.

All I can say is that there is still something erroneous. Could there be some kind of obstruction (i.e. firewall, etc) here at work that could be preventing it? The weird thing is that Remote Desktop / Terminal Services works just fine, just not the web type of remote desktop connection.

It only works when I enter the DSL MODEM ip address in the Server field as opposed to the workstation ip address
    because no one can see anything with the lan. So this is the correct way. You should connect to the routers IP and if its set up correctly it should forward it to the static IP address that I was talking about on MSN.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    because no one can see anything with the lan. So this is the correct way. You should connect to the routers IP and if its set up correctly it should forward it to the static IP address that I was talking about on MSN.
    Yes this is correct.

Dude, are you trying to remote web connect from a computer outside your LAN, ie at work or different state etc? If Yes then you need to enter your Router or Modem IP address.

Now, if you are trying to remote web connect from a computer inside your LAN, ie next cubicle or second computer on desk? If yes then you should be able to enter the IP of the workstation.

So... is it Option 1 or Option 2?? :d

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hey Phish, I went ahead and did the same thing as you. I hope that this will fix any erroneous configuration glitches that may exist in my setup. I went to no-ip and set up a redirector. I also upgraded my router's firmware.

Oh btw, LinkSys rocks as far as I'm concerned! The firmware upgrade went totally flawless.

I'm gonna try out this new configuration and report back on my results.

Cash, my ultimate goal is option 1 and when I do try it that way it does work. When I try option 2, from a pc on my local subnet, and I enter in the workstation ip addy it also works. Both options work however my primary goal was option 1. Thanks for the clarification!