Thread: Suse 9.2 Free Download

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Suse 9.2 Free Download

Novell said it is making SuSE Linux Professional 9.2 available as a free download.

Novell said the version differs from the LiveDVD version, is a fully installable version, and is not time limited.

The download is available from:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/

Platinum+ Member
    Can i install it on a dual booting with Win XP? Is it user friendly, coz I've never used any Linux/unix OS before ?

That above link was giving me probs, so I Googled it and found - The Suse free dowload channel

From the README file: "If you have a DVD burner, you can download the DVD image and burn it on a DVD to boot and install from it, just like you would do with a DVD from a SUSE Linux 9.2 box edition. If you have a CDR/RW burner, you may want to download the file mini-installation ISO, burn it on a CD and boot from it to start the installation of the SUSE Linux 9.2 FTP version." Most mirrors have yet to get in synch with the main server, but you can download the ISO images from here: SUSE-Linux-9.2-mini-installation.iso (64.2MB) or SUSE-Linux-9.2-FTP-DVD.iso (3,208MB)

Source Distrowartch.com
    SUSE-Linux-9.2-mini-installation.iso
    SUSE-Linux-9.2-FTP-DVD.iso

It is very user friendly and you can dual boot as long as you have something to allow you to re-partition or you already have a free partition. I would go for it if I were you it has an excellent installer and will run very fast on any up to date system. If you have never used Linux before you will be amazed how simple it is to get up and running.

Platinum+ Member
    thanks curio, will ry it later. I have never used Linux ever - will I have any driver issues or anything?

Unless you have some unusual hardware that's unlikely. Some software modems don't work in linux.

The reason you cannot connect to the FTP, is because it is full at the moment.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    Unless you have some unusual hardware that's unlikely. Some software modems don't work in linux.
    I've heard that a lot of so-called "Winmodems" can have problems with Linux. Hardware modems are supposed to yeild better results.

Wink Do it with a mirror!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    The reason you cannot connect to the FTP, is because it is full at the moment.
    It is still not available... try a mirror site => http://www.novell.com/products/linux...t_mirrors.html

Mike

Thanks mike. Welcome to TZ.