This is with XP SP2 and Firefox 1.0

Before Firefox I could get a desktop s/c by going Start > Programs, clicking the program and then dragging the appropriate selection from the popup to the desktop. I used the right mouse button to do this. Once the mouse arrow was where I wanted it on the desktop, I'd release the mouse button and get a popup with 2-3 items, one of which was "create s/c here." I'd select that and presto, the shortcut appeared.

I tried this after Firefox--and I don't know that there is a connection--and nothing happened. (Firefox was not running when I did this.) So I tried again this time holding down the left mouse button.) Well...it dragged. I dropped my selection to where I wanted it and indeed there was the shortcut--it had the little curved arrow.

But when I went back to Programs and clicked on the Program listing, the entry I dragged was gone from the pop-up. To get that entry back in the Program List popup I had to reinstall the program.

What can I do about this? Any ideas or must I go the route of a format if I don't want to live with it? You know how nice it is to be able to get a s/c on the desktop the way I've done it for years.

Computers! They bug me sometimes!