Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XP repair boots right into blue screen

Titanium Member
    **edit - funny how this all happend exactly when Outpost time ran out:

Serious problem with Outpost Firewall Pro?
    Hi all, I am using the 30day trial of Outpost Firewall PRO and just now I got a blue screen on my computer saying some errors and my HDD just stopped working, I switched my PC off and on, the HDD didnt turn on for about 20 secs. When it did and when Windows XP loaded Windows said my system is recovering from a serious system error, and would I like to send an error report to help disgnose the problem. I clicked send error report, and my browser opened a page saying the following.

Solution Found: Contact Agnitum to obtain the update

Problem Description

Thank you for submitting an error report. The error was likely caused by Outpost Firewall Pro.

Problem Resolution

Outpost Firewall Pro was created by Agnitum . Agnitum informed Microsoft that they have a solution available for the problem you reported. To learn more about the solution, Agnitum recommends that you visit the following website:

Gohttp://www.agnitum.com/download/outpostpro.html

Additional Information

* Microsoft did not create, nor does it provide technical support for Outpost Firewall Pro.
    * If you have trouble installing the fix or the problem you reported persists, please contact Agnitum and alert them of the problem.

The exact same thing happened on my other PC down stairs about 5 days after installing Outost. Could someone please tell me what exactly happened, surely this isnt good for my PC.
    **edit - "fixboot cannot find the system drive"
    Last edited by lynchknot; January 19th, 2005 at 21:18 PM.

quick question did you change your mobo right before the problem started?

Titanium Member
    No I have changed nothing but installed latest Outpost firewall over previous. I used PE to rename Outpost but It did not work. This could also be related to adaware deleting files.

I had a boot right to blue screen problem a few weeks ago and i turns out windows doesnt like people to install entirely different motherboards. Your problem sounded like that but i guess not. Good Luck with your problem.

Titanium Member
    Thanks. I guess there is no immediate solution. I have copied "my documents" my desktop and application data (firefox) to the other drive. I'm going to use true image to restore.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Does it BSOD all the time, on every startup? Are you able to use regcleaner and delete the outpost entries, then re-install demo outpost -fooling it- and see if it works?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    And did you visit the Agnitum site to see what they recommend?

In place install.
    boot from xp disk - choose install.
    finds old installation - asks if you want to fix ...erm yup. (press R)
    gets rid of old install and rewrites system keeping all files and drivers intact.
    You have to re-install all the patches and updates but you keep all your data - cool.
    You should also make yourself a BART disk go to http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder for instructions - everyone needs a bart disk and some modded plugins for it - this could be the start of a new thread.

Oh and that wsaupdate thing you should also edit out of the registry and remove the wsaupdate call so you can delete the cloned file.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I found this link in my MSDN flash newsletter... a new KB from 7th Jan 05, not sure if you've seen it...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=891892&SD=tech

it might be useful.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---