Thread: hibernation

Titanium Member

hibernation

Hello group. My PC came out of hibernation by itself. I also noticed that, according to MBM, that my #1 fan stopped working. Any thoughts?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    HIBERNATION: my thoughts, never do it... If you are going to go to hibernation, just shut the PC down.
    Seriously about the hibernation, if it came out of hibernation by itself, you either have two issues,
    something hit the power button to turn it on, or something caused disk activity thus the return.. or as a last thought, you need to check MS for the hibernation patch or repair file.

Second about the fan, open the case and check it. If it is still running, then you needn't worry. If it is not working, simply check it by switching your fans to see if one is bad, if it is bad, then go to your nearest comp dealer and pick up a replacement. They are very cheap around $5-35 US depending on the type, quality and region where you live.

just my thoughts,
    BB

Titanium Member
    Thanks BB, I re-booted and now the fan indicators are working.
    As far as the hibernation goes, the screensaver (aquarium) was on when I walked back into the room.

If you have any scheduled task that ran that may have kick the system back on. Hibernation is really for Lap tops to save on the battery. If you are running a desktop and do not like the appearance of the system being on all of the time you can just shut down the monitor after a time period that you select. With todays monitors a screen saver is really over kill. I like some of the screen savers so that is what I use. I had mine set up for monitor shut down after an hour which was kind of neat but served no real purpose that I could tell.