Thread: Installing sg726acm.cab codec for WMP 10

Installing sg726acm.cab codec for WMP 10

Dear 'smartin22':
    I read your post 'Problem solved' but I couldn't find any details as to just how you installed the 'sg726acm.cab' codec which WMP 10 won't automatically install because it is not signed by Microsoft or is from an 'unknown publisher'.
    Please tell me how to install it. I have downloaded the above codec from the link in your post but don't know what to do with it. I have received some video clips from a friend's digital camera that have an .asf extention which is supposed to be supported by Windows Media Player (WMP) but they won't play because the necessary codec isn't installed. Hope you can be of help and thanks in advance!
    Sincerely,
    McSlick

This is a problem for Panasonic SV-AV100 users, too

I have a client with a new Panasonic camcorder and we encountered this same problem. It records .asf files, but Windows Media Player (version 9 or 10) gives the "Windows has blocked this software" message, referring to sg726acm.cab. I tried this on several XP machines, including mine which has the K-Lite codec pack. KiLite is NOT the solution here, which surprised me. Changing Windows security settings also makes no difference.

I have Googled around for a solution, and this forum is absolutely the only place I found a discussion of this problem. Maybe the Panasonic SV-AV100 is too new for complaints to be registered.

Actually, the solution can be found in this thread. You need to download
    http://codecs.microsoft.com/codecs/i386/sg726acm.cab, unpack it, then right-click on the .inf file to install it.

My client is returning his new camera because he needs to be able to make CDs to give to his customers, and we can't expect them to follow these convoluted instructions to make the files play. This is a major PITA.

'sg726acm.cab' installation instructions already tried!

Thanks for taking the time 'eggmedia'. It was nice of you to try to help. Actually, I had tried this already. No go I found the link for the 'sg726acm.cab' codec download, probably in the same place you did, in this forum in a post by 'smartin22' if I remember correctly. After following many methods including the ones you mentioned about WMP settings and Internet Security settings etc... I forked out $35 to a 'Microsoft Support Professional' for answers. Nothing he advised was any different than the advice I found on 'Techzonez Forum' and other websites or what I had tried on my own. The last bit of advise from the 'MSP' was to contact Panasonic to see if they had a codec that would enable WMP 10, 9, 8, 7, or 6.4 to play the .asf video files. It seems as though it was just another $35 down the drain. So far, I have been unable to find anything on Panasonic's website about codecs for playing .asf video files. It's a bit strange, since this is the format some of their cameras produce. I submitted questions about this to Pansonic's support and customer service, but haven't heard from them yet.
    Now I'm waiting to hear from my Japanese friend (I live in Japan) as to what software came with his Panasonic SV-AV50 (d-snap) digital video camera or what media player he uses to view the files it produces. If I get these pesky .asf files to play in WMP (any version) I'll be sure to post the solution.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Michael Slaught

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    there is also a fix for Hardware-Created ASF Files Stop Playing in Media Player 9 Series

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;816044

It appearsthe camera uses sd software,

have a look here for info that mat get you closer to an answer,
    http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...e+Search&meta=

panasonic only seems to offer usb drivers. many people are having the same problems of not being able to play the file.

it is an mpeg-4 asf file so....
    Last edited by egghead; February 6th, 2005 at 16:20 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

try g-spot

Features

● v2.21: Fully resizable main dialog and more...
    12 Jul 03: build 030711 fixes integer aspect ratio & broken .wav file handling
    ● Establishes what video codecs (audio and video) are required to play an AVI file.
    ● Determines whether these codecs are installed on your system.
    ● Isolates problems associated with these codecs.
    ● Simple operation - Basic use: "File > Open", then read results
    ● Identifies download induced problems (truncated files, "cooked" files, etc.)
    ● Shows framerate, duration, aspect ratio, bitrates, AVI structure info, and more.
    ● Displays and allows editing of RIFF info (title, etc); displays "hidden" ASCII info.
    ● Drag and Drop and "Send To" support, multi-file (batch) processing support
    ● Copy/Paste or text export GSpot information - format is user configurable.
    ● Built-in database of 350 video and 150 audio codec types
    ● Advanced UI including "dual-mode" and hyperlinked "persistent" tool tips
    ● Full support for OGG media files as well as AVI stream formats
    ● Identification (only) of non-AVI files (.mpg, .mov, .qt, .rm, .swf, .wmv, .asf, etc.)
    ● Supports VFW, ACM, DirectShow and DMO codec types (audio and video)
    ● Win95/98/ME/NT/2K/XP
    ● No Install (optional), No spyware, No advertising, No registration
    ● Free
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/index.htm

Thank you guys!

This one

http://codecs.microsoft.com/codecs/i386/sg726acm.cab

worked for me, but since it did not allow me to resize, I tried

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/index.htm

and it worked better! I got resizing to work. The videos I have were created with a Panasonic SV-AV30.

Cheers!

great!

glad you got it working

ive been looking for this sg726acm.cab and i cant find it on the microsoft website anymore; its either been moved or removed completely.

does anyone happen to have it? ive given up on this panasonic sv av-50 and i just want to be able to rescue and convert the video files.