Thread: Server 2003 Reload

Server 2003 Reload

Hi All,

I have a real puzzler (at least for me anyway). I have a LAN with the server running Server 2003 sp1 and 10 workstations running XP Professional sp2 using TCP/IP protocol with a .local domain name. Everything was working fine until the server Hard Drive went south. I had to replace the HD and load again Server 2003 on the new HD. I am now having a problem with logons, recognizing the domain, roaming profiles not working, but all local logons are OK, oh and the domain administrator logon appears to work fine on all stations. I did a reload on one of the workstations, re-joined the network and that work station works just fine in all respects and is back up on the network. I added a new workstation to the Domain and again it works just fine.

It appears to me that what I need to do is some how refresh, re-join or again-join the domain on the reloaded server from the other workstations. How can I do this without having to reload the OS on the other stations? Can I?

HELP

Mike Spivey

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Did you try deleting the domain and setup for the XP workstations, and reinstall it afresh? You'd have to do it on each one but I think it might work without having to reload the entire OS.

You can try this procedure:

1. Right-click "My Network Place", "Properties" and enter the properties for the "Local Area Connection" on your system.
    2. Highlight "Client for Microsoft Networks" and click "Uninstall"
    3. Reboot the system when prompted.
    4. When the system comes back up re-enter the properties for "Local Area Connection" and click on "Install"
    5. Double-Click on "Client" and select "Client for Microsoft Networks"
    6. When the Client is reinstalled, reboot one last time and you should be able to join and browse the domain.

You'll need to do that on each workstation if indeed it works.

Thanks Booger, I will try it tomorrow. Muchas gracias!!

Mike

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    This is a hard one Kenshi, it is very bad that the Server HD died... The problem you have in reinstalling a new server is all the client pc's which are connected to your domain will have SIDs and profiles...

As you've discovered, you simply cannot make a new server and try to fool the Client PCs, although it would be nice...

BB's suggestion is good, but you could also try the built-in connect computer to domain wizard...

on each Client PC, open IE, and http://servername/connectcomputer

it should reconnect the PC to the domain, however, the issue could be the loss of profile settings and it trys to make a new profile and SID... if you have roaming profiles you might be OK

Dehc and Curio are good people to ask about this server stuff.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Bye bye Domain

All the PCs joined the original domain and have the security details of that domain. If you take them out of the domain (on each PC) then rejoin them to the new domain you should get some luck (just like the new pcs connect OK). This is the reason that MS say you should always have at least 2 Domain Controllers, in essence your original domain no longer exists.
    Personally I would start over and call the domain something else to avoid confusion. As you only have 10 workstations it wouldn't take forever. Once your domain gets screwed up you could be letting yourself in for all sorts of problems somewhere down the line a week, a month, even a year later.
    Been there, done that and I have the teeshirt.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    All the PCs joined the original domain and have the security details of that domain. If you take them out of the domain (on each PC) then rejoin them to the new domain you should get some luck (just like the new pcs connect OK). This is the reason that MS say you should always have at least 2 Domain Controllers, in essence your original domain no longer exists.
    Personally I would start over and call the domain something else to avoid confusion. As you only have 10 workstations it wouldn't take forever. Once your domain gets screwed up you could be letting yourself in for all sorts of problems somewhere down the line a week, a month, even a year later.
    Been there, done that and I have the teeshirt.

Good advise Curio, thanks!

Thanks Everyone,

I followed Booger's procedure and the net work is "working" again. Following the Reload of client for MS Networks I was able to use the "join a network wizard" on MyComputer - Properties to allow the server and client to "Find" each other again.

Thanks Again. I will remember this one!!!!!!!

Mike Spivey
    Ontario
    So Cal

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    kenshi,
    You might want to take Curio's advice. It is very sound and will save you next time you have an issue. But I am glad to hear you got it sorted.