Hi there
Hope someone more knowledgable than me can help....Pleaaaasssseeee!
An ongoing problem. Use a Compaq Presario notebook, running XP Home, 384mb Ram, 30 Gb HD, and 1.2 Ghz AMD Athalon XP, with Norton SystemWorks 2002, and Norton Internet Security 2002 (version provided by Compaq).
Main issue is laptop freezes, keyboard becomes inactive as does touchpad or attatched mouse. Only thing that works is cd drive drawer and power button. Have to power off for anything to happen, when I switch on again Windows doesn't think anything's wrong, doesn't run chkdsk just boots normally.
Noticed a strange thing, if I do a fresh install (using restore disc, which I gather restores from d partition of HD), if I install Norton IS next (this also includes a version of Norton AV 2002 combined), choose the option to install this version of AV and then follow with an install of Systemworks (during which it recognises that AV is installed so doesn't try to install it again) this seems to beat the issue. But being a little anal about these things I want to know why this is. Still crashes occasionally when I'm running Nortons Speed disc or AV is scanning my HD.
Have also noticed that Speed disc shows most of my system files at the start of my HD, but there are also some placed 1/3 of the way through the drive after everything else in what is otherwise free disc space, and it wont defrag them.
Sorry the message is so long, and apologies for any tech errors.
Hope you can help, cos this is spoiling my enjoyment of my notebook.