Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: To overclock or not?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    1700xp (1.47ghz)cpu from Newegg. I have it currently OC'ed to 2gigs. .
    can you clarify for our members?

did you over clock 1.47ghz to 2.0ghz in real mhz?

or did you go from a pr rating of 1700xp to a pr rating of 2000xp?

some things many people overlook when overclocking the fsb is you are also overclocking the pci bus and all components in the system

hard drives and soundcards do overclock and some will glitch or defect and thus will not last as long as the manufactered specs.

asus on my old p4 board had a pci lock so i was able to boost the fsb without overclocking the components and i was able to get insane fsb wit a stock fan. amd is much more hot and you can bet if your fan died the cpu could go up in smoke.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Ok everyone take a chill pill

If bhxtyrant's CPU is unlocked and he gives me the green light, you better fasten your seat belts cuz FastGame going to wave his wand !

amd is much more hot and you can bet if your fan died the cpu could go up in smoke
    hahaha, you crack me up, the only smoke AMD puts out is cuz "code" can't keep up HA!

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Can anyone answer my questions?

Quote Originally Posted by GimieGimieGimie
    Can anyone answer my questions?
    Oh sorry egghead got my panties in a wad & I forgot

How do you know when your CPU is locked?
    You can't change your multiplier from the stock setting

I've managed to O/C my Athlon Barton 3000 by only 150mhz, anything higher, changing either the multiple clock, or FSB caused the pc is become unstable.
    XP 3000 doesn't have as much leeway for OC'n as say the XP 2400, the 3000 is already close to the limit. Also don't know what MB you have ? or Ram ? As for unstability when raising the FSB ? maybe your ram can't handle it or timmings need to be changed ? V-core upped a little ? many things to consider here....

150mhz isn't much, does this mean my CPU is locked?
    Nope, locked or unlocked 150mhz could be alot for the 3000, are no guarantee's in OC'n

I would need to know your entire System spec's to give answers on why things arent the way you expect them to be.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    nope Egg mine is a 1470mhz 1700xp running at 1992mhz 2400xp. running 166fsb X 12 CPU multiplier. I also lowered the CAS timings on my PC2100 Crucial memory, but havent been in the BIOS for awhile so forgot what they are set at.
    and gimmie you can check it by the identifier on the cpu itself. I found a great site that I posted in the hardware so let me find it and I'll post it back here.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5924 here you go nice run down on what that long number means on your amd cpu's

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame

XP 3000 doesn't have as much leeway for OC'n as say the XP 2400, the 3000 is already close to the limit.
    I thought as much

I would need to know your entire System spec's to give answers on why things arent the way you expect them to be.
    My full pc spec can be found here:

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13484

But you have already answered my question

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    I am currently using the Uber1008d but I wouldnt recommend the uber bios, since these are not OEM. And yes like FG said I corrupted 1 bios chip already.

I've attached the latest BIOS for ya. Let us know if you need help flashing because you can make a nice paper weight quickly with a bad flash.
    one question.I went to the asus official site and noticed there newest bios for the nforce2 400 was 1010_X while the one you provided was 1010_b which i assume is older.should i use the version from there site?

And yes please explain a little on "flashing" as i dont want to screw up my main PC to much work and software here to lose.

Just bumping this up waiting on phishhead's reply

hmm maybe I should bump it up waiting for you to reply "Is that CPU unlocked ?"

I wouldn't worry about flashing the bios yet, and I alway use the ASUS flash utility for windows, I think phish uses the DOS floppy way ?

Heh well i assumed it would be better to update to the latest BIOS before procedding after what phishhead was saying about ruining one bios chip already.Oh i wanted to ask something to you as well.

Remember you said i can try changing the bios settings to see if the CPU is locked or not but if it doesnt work i would have to take out the battery/reset the jumpers ect?

I was reading up a little and someone recommended a tool called "killcmos" just wanted your opinion on that before i attempted to use it or anything in the event i have to reset the bios settings.

because once i attempt to set the bios i will have no way to get online to get any help if the bios doesnt work and i have to reset it better to be safe then sorry.

Read your manual it tells how to "killcmos" the old fashon way

I don't know how old your board is, if its a later model you shouldn't have any problem rebooting.

Ok it worked i went in and changed the frequency multiplier to 10.0x its original setting was 7.0x and the PC started fine without trouble.So whats next?

also on a side note in case you need/want to know my CPU is running on 133/166mhz i have never tried setting it to 166mhz

Green Light to FastGame

Also is there some sort of program that can be used to monitor my CPU temperature?
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; February 1st, 2005 at 14:14 PM.

changed the frequency multiplier to 10.0x its original setting was 7.0x
    what the heck is the 7.0x about

hmm so your telling me you can adjust the multiplier and the setting stays ?

If it does then use these settings.

CPU External Frequency= 200

CPU Frequency Multiple Setting= User Defined

CPU Frequency Multiple= 10 or 10.5 try 10 for starters

System Performance= User Defined

CPU Interface= Aggressive

Memory Frequency= Sync

Memory Timming= User Defined

Memory set to below

CAS# latency= 2.5
    RAS# to CAS# delay= 3
    RAS# precharge= 3
    cycle time= 11

Go to save and exit, this is where you should pray you won't need "killcmos"

If it works and you used the 10x multiplier the system should be running @ 2.0ghz, with the CPU and Ram in sync @ 400FSB.

Also is there some sort of program that can be used to monitor my CPU temperature?
    yeah get the ASUS monitor, forgot what its called

"what the heck is the 7.0x about "

after i changed the "CPU Frequency Multiple Setting" to user defined it opened the option to change the "CPU Frequency Multiple".The "CPU Frequency Multiple" was originally set to 7.0x i bumped it up to 10x as you suggested.now im gonna try to change the other options

:EDIT: ok i changed everything with the exception of one.you said change the memory frequency to "sync" but in that menu there wasnt a "sync" option.the options were percentages ranging from 50% to 200% and it also had "auto" i have i changed it from 100% to "auto" hope that is correct.Everything started fine but i didi notice the CPU temp raised from 51C to 56-57C

Also would that tool happen to be called "ASUS Smartdoctor" ? http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/V...rtDoctor.shtml oops looks like this tool is for GFX cards only hmm ill keep looking.

:EDIT2:found a program called "Asus Tempster 2.00 " this might be the one you were talking about.Let me know when you get a chance
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; February 1st, 2005 at 15:26 PM.