Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing a big silver P from an image

Removing a big silver P from an image

Hi:

Please see attachment. Is it at all practical to try and remove the big P and replace it with the brownish bushes and their sky background such as seen in the area to the left of the big P?

Triple Platinum Member
    i have this software called arcsoft...and it has a photo edit tool that allows you to clone the adjacent areas onto the area of concern...u cud prolly use somin like photoshop or somin to clone the 'P' out...

Thanks. Yeah, I've seen that tool used...I dread trying to clone in tall thin reeds with long thin bits of sky between them--it would take forever and require an extremely steady hand, even I fear if you enlarged the picture to the point of pixelation. And patience comes hard for me!!

I had a dream that there would be an alternative.

Triple Platinum Member
    I had a dream that there would be an alternative.
    lol, and i had a fear that u'd know that my direction was time consuming ...

perhaps egghead or lynchknot can help you in some way

Some thing like this

I will try and blend a little better if this is what you are looking for.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I'm no wizard, but here's my go at it.

BB: So how did you guys actually remove the P. My understanding of the process is that you have two little balls on your screen the distance between which can be varied. You move one of them with your mouse while the other one picks up and transfers the color of the area where it is located. The result is that the lifted color apears where you postion the ball that you drag around with your mouse. You can vary the size of at least one of the balls. This is approximately how Corel PhotoPaint did it.

In this situation with all those reeds so close together with little bits of sky between them it would have taken hours. HOURS!

I doubt you spent 5-6-7 hours; did you do it some other way? Did you somehow remove the entire P and then replace it with an equal lift from the reeds on the left side of the image in one fell swoop?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Basically I used photoshop. I took the eliptical marquee, and removed the P. That created a big white blank circle. So then I used the "heal" tool and borrowed scenery from the nearby area. Slowly filling it and blending it as best I could. It took about 25 minutes I think. BUt if you wanted to spend an hour or two you could get it looking nearly perfect if you wanted to.

I tried to do as you stated and life one big swoop from the left side and move it to the blank P area.. but it added a huge ring around that area. So then I tried blurring and blending and healing.. but it didn't look so nice.

Well, that's a useful, suspicion-confirming response, BB. My suspicion was (probably obviously) that to get a really good result, it is just very time-consuming and very precise process. And I know a little more now from reading about how you first tried it.

wumply

I hope you like it.
    Last edited by Tinker; February 6th, 2005 at 20:52 PM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    is that the right pic?

I see the pic with the circle still visible

------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you like it.
    Last edited by Tinker; February 6th, 2005 at 20:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    is that the right pic?

I see the pic with the circle still visible

There is a circle there but it fits. I was having a difficult time with removing what was there and making it look correct. So I came up with this idea. If it is not what wumply wants I can keep working on it.

Tinker: A neat solution but unfortunately the sentiment doesn't fit in with my emotional concept of the picture. So I would really like you to go ahead and work to improve the picture itself. Will you be comfortable putting in the time it will take and do you feel you have the time? And do you have some estimate of the time and cost?

We can do one of two things here. You can tell me what you would like it to say or I will keep working on another solution.

Is the circle the only thing that you do not like about the image? If there are other things that need changed I want to do it all at once. No charge for you wumply, consider it a "Techzonez benefit".