Thread: Windows 98SE Creative Live! Drive startup

Question Windows 98SE Creative Live! Drive startup

I have finally resurrected a "grumpy" Win 98SE machine that has a Creative SB Live! Drive card / unit in it. There are some DOS commands to initialise it when Win 98SE starts up. After upgrading the BIOS and resetting the BIOS values, the DOS stuff comes up with an error message and makes the computer beep once on loading (obviously the IRQ settings in the BIOS were tweaked "just so" to make the DOS commands for the card work) then Windows continues to load (seemingly fine). Interestingly, the sound still works fine, and it would appear that the DOS commands are unnecessary. So, 2 questions:
    1) ARE the DOS commands REALLY superfluous as it would appear, or am I likely to run into problems later? Sound is fine thru my speakers, but I haven't tried to do any sound editing using the other ports on the card (since I don't know how, mainly...)
    2) How do I get rid of those DOS commands? I've editing all the BAT files I can find in the C: root directory (about 4 had references to the SBINIT file that runs to set various values under DOS before Win 98SE starts) and deleted any reference to sound initialisation, but still there is a file somewhere that is generating those commands. Where would that file be?
    Thanks for any help given.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    the dos commands are only for dosd programs.
    you do not need it at all

i think you can type sysedit in the run box

you will want to put rem in front of each line in the autoexec.bat and config.sys fields

example

sound=irq5

do this

rem sound=irq5

etc.....
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hi - thanks for that. I tried that, but there is some stupid part of the system that keeps putting the settings back as they were. Any other ideas?

Uninstall and reinstall the lastest drivers from creative.com