Thread: Content Managment system?

Content Managment system?

Hello guys,i need some opinions and suggestions.Well first off let me explain what i am trying to do.I currently run a fan site dedicated to the video game series Resident Evil which can be found at www.bio-hq.com

Up until now i have always made every page manually so whenever i want to add new content or edit content i have to manually edit then upload the new file which needless to say is a pain.

I want to ask all of you if you know a good simple content managment system preferribly php based that will allow me to enter content,create content templates,ect and add them into a blank page via php includes or server side include via an online control panel.This way all of my staff can edit content as needed and make life alot easier.I was looking over PHPnuke but that doesnt seem to fit my needs.I dont need to have anything like the ability to let all site viewers register ect.I just need one mainly for content managment.Thanks for your time and i hope someone can help me out.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Check out our front page http://www.techzonez.com/

we use VirtuaNews. You can integrate it with your forums database,so members only have to register once.Cookies work for both elements of your site so you only have to login once.

VirtuaNews is a fast, powerful and customizable way of creating a new website for you in an instant. With its unique simple interface we can have you up and running with a new website exactly how you want.

VirtuaNews has may features that make creating your website community as easy as possible, the key features are:
    Fast PHP/MySQL backend - Pages created in under 0.1 seconds*
    Fully customizable style system - Easily create the look you want
    Full admin panel - Control every aspect of your site easily
    Advanced permission system - Control exactly what people can do
    Advanced module system - Use modules to create exactly the site you want
    Powerful search engine - Find exactly what you want easily
    Optional Integration With Forums - No need for your users to sign up twice

Complete list of features here

Some of our good friends that also use VirtuaNews are MSFN | OSNN | HWG

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks alot for the fast reply.I am a frequent visitor here so i have seen the site just have one more question for you.I dont know quite how to explain but i will try my best.Will Virtua News allow me to create a catagory type system?for example on my site i have several sections seperated by catagory.Below is an example-

Biohazard Section-inside this catagory i have story,overview,characters,enemies,objects,files,image gallery,artwork,beta,secrets,video media,and soundtracks.

each sub catagory has its own page of course.

One thing i notice after view both PHPnuke and Virtua News Demo is that they both have there own premade site layout.Can this be modified?I prefer to custom build my layouts and graphics to make the site more unique.I currently use a little script called fusionphpnews which works perfectly fine for the news and allows me to use php include to add the news onto the main page.

basically i am looking for a managment system that works the exact same way except for content and not just news.So for example i make the catagory "biohazard" then the script would give me an php include address to add into my blank page to include the content from that section.
    Last edited by bhxtyrant; February 15th, 2005 at 11:17 AM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    You can have single categories,and also create sub categories.

http://www.techzonez.com/index.php?action=cat

As you can see we don't use sub cats at TZ,but they are simple to add via the admin panel.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Also, you might want to take a look at Mamboserver ( www.mamboserver.com ).

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Thaks for the replies once again.I have also checked out Mambo yesterday but none of these still seem to fit my needs.Maybe if i try to explain a bit more.

What i am looking for basically is an online control panel that will allow me to imput data into a mySQL database.It would be excellent if the CMS allows the content to be seperated by catagories and sub catagories.

Now i do not need all the extra features such as a user database or intergration with a forum i simply need this for site content.The CMS doesnt even need to generate webpages i wish to simply incorperate the content via SSI or PHP includes into a premade webpage template i already created.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Actually, Mamboserver does exactly what your requirements state. You might have to rework your template, but it should work for you. I've implemented it for about 20+ web sites where I work.

Here's a site that might help you in your search: www.cmsmatrix.org

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Hmm really?Im gonna install it and look at it more closly today.Could you explain a little for me if you have the chance?

Ok well once i install the MamboServer CMS will it allow me to custom make templates for each section?For example for the story section it will be nothing really except a table with the content inside but then once i get into the pages for the image gallery and character/enemy bio's it will require a nice table based template to evenly space the images and such.Can this be done?

And last once i add the content into Mambo how can i find out what the PHP include address would be so i could then add it to my premade webpage?