Thread: Windows XP 64 bit

Windows XP 64 bit

Hey guys wated to ask a simple question.Well i am planning on building a new PC using an AMD 64 chip and i was thinking about grabbing a copy of Windows XP 64 but for this system.The question is does XP64 have anything special that would make it better then the normal XP SP2 version i am using currently?Is it worth it?Thanks in advace to all who reply.

After reading that looks like i will have no need to jump to XP64 quite yet.Luckily i still have a copy i just downloaded from microsoft so whenever the time comes i can upgrade.Thanks alot for the info.

I actually posted about this a while ago. If you want to use x64 make sure you have spare time. It is better than SP2 simply because one it has the same capabilities already built in, and it can utilize the full potential of a 64 bit processor. There are some problems with it (that's why it is a beta), also you have to find the 64 bit versions of the drivers you will need for your hardware. If your hardware like video card are no longer supported by the manufacturer then you are out of luck and you should keep x86 windows. Also, i would take a spare hard drive or buy a 40 gig hard drive or smaller, you know something cheap. And install x64 on that and use it as a test bed, after a few months if you are happy and if you were able to solve any major problems you should keep it. Also, microsoft is saying that when they finally release 64 bit windows to the public they will give free upgrades from 32 to 64 bit, if your processor supports it.

I think what i will most likely do is wait a while longe3r until the XP64 bit beta is more functional.I'll just keep an eye on it and see where it goes.If everything goes well and they rid some of the complicts and problems then i will definently upgrade.But since the only release so far is the beta i'll wait i actually thought capcom already released a full version because i found an AMD64/MSI mainboard combo which it says comes bundled with Windows XP 64 bit version.I cant see how thats possible considering its still in development.