A month ago or so I got a virus on my computer and succesfully removed it with Norton Anti-Virus and removing things from my registry as instructed.
I then upgraded from win98 to winXP (formating the HD and getting rid of all my old files). I thought this would fix the problem but it hasn't. I'll describe what is going on. I have two drives one Toshiba DVD and a Samsung cd-rw. The dvd drive is fine but the cd-rw started acting crazy during the two days my computer was infected. It opened and closed erracticly on its own. Now that has stopped but when you cut the computer on and it starts to boot the bios the drive opens up (status lights flash) and stays that way. You can push the button and it doesn't respond. You can force it closed but it doesn't recognize it as being closed and loaded (with a cd of any kind). The drive still shows up in my hardware profile and under properties and says it is working properly. Every now and again I can cut my comp on and opens then closes immediatly then it will recognize CDs of all kinds and the drive button also functions but this is very rare. I've tried updating to latest drivers and also checked all cables on the inside (IDE and power) and they are connected fine. It is on the secondary ATA channel if that counts for anything. Thanks for the help in advance!