Thread: My cd-rw is stuck open

My cd-rw is stuck open

A month ago or so I got a virus on my computer and succesfully removed it with Norton Anti-Virus and removing things from my registry as instructed.
    I then upgraded from win98 to winXP (formating the HD and getting rid of all my old files). I thought this would fix the problem but it hasn't. I'll describe what is going on. I have two drives one Toshiba DVD and a Samsung cd-rw. The dvd drive is fine but the cd-rw started acting crazy during the two days my computer was infected. It opened and closed erracticly on its own. Now that has stopped but when you cut the computer on and it starts to boot the bios the drive opens up (status lights flash) and stays that way. You can push the button and it doesn't respond. You can force it closed but it doesn't recognize it as being closed and loaded (with a cd of any kind). The drive still shows up in my hardware profile and under properties and says it is working properly. Every now and again I can cut my comp on and opens then closes immediatly then it will recognize CDs of all kinds and the drive button also functions but this is very rare. I've tried updating to latest drivers and also checked all cables on the inside (IDE and power) and they are connected fine. It is on the secondary ATA channel if that counts for anything. Thanks for the help in advance!

I think I would go to the device manager -

Start>Right Click on MyComputer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager

Go to DVD/CD-ROM drives and remove the drive that is giving you trouble.

Restart computer. The drive should be found during boot and driver installed.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

It maybe just coincidence that the CD-RW drive started acting weird the same time you contracted a virus.

I worked for a school district and what you describe typically happens when there is something inside the cd drive causing it to randomly open/close without reason. I've seen things like gum, pennies, tape, bugs cause this. I've also seen the classes pet hamster crawl into the VCR but that's a story for another time

I've tried both your suggestions, removing and reinstalling didn't help neither did a cleaning of the inside of the drive (no bugs or pennies just dust lol). I also tried cleaning the contact of the front button and that doesn't help either. I have no idea what to do and I hope I don't have to order a new one because I really need to burn some files for my classes lol.

A spec of dust will trigger the sensor causing the drive to open/close.

It's pretty cut and dry with CD-Drives, either they work or they don't. (random issues fall under not working)

edit: spelling

I concur, we've had several cd drives that were, eh hem, "posessed."

The latest was in our own, open and shut whenever, then finally wouldn't stay closed.

Small consolation but they are really cheap now, check Ebay.

Sharon

I know this is a useless reply, but I'm feeling a little silly this afternoon (all the leftover birthday cake I ate) -- you could use it as a cup holder maybe? (Yes, I used to do Support Desk...)

Triple Platinum Member
    you could use it as a cup holder maybe?
    wahahaha!!

At least yours is stuck open. Mine one was stuck CLOSED! I could not read any CDs or DVDs until I got my DVD-burner, I called the DELL technicians and they replaced it with a new one just yesterday.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield