Thread: Question about a defrag result

Question about a defrag result

After defrag 3/4 of my HD is empty as is obvious and most files are clustered in the first 1/4 of the drive. Then there is a space of oh maybe 1.5" (see attachment) followed by a 1/8-3/16 inch bit of contiguous files after which it's white space all the way to the end of the drive. Is there a reason why those few bits of lonely contiguous files weren't placed with the other contiguous files at the left end.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Have you tried defragging again Wumply? Perhaps it will be moved after a second pass?

Well, here's the result of the 2nd. defrag about 24 hours later. No significant change; just moved the lonely blue 1/8" bar over 1-2" to the right. And it missed some files (still red) on the left side. I wonder if a different defragmenter than the Windows built-in one would do things differently. Are there such programs for free?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

It's possible that another program might perfrom better however I don't know of many that are for free. Anyone else?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Your defrag looks ok to me.

I don't know for sure but that area to the right might be system restore, if it is then it doesn't matter if it's not with the rest of the files.

If you want to try a Free defrager, Power Defragmenter 1.82 http://www.excessive-software.tk/
    Last edited by FastGame; February 24th, 2005 at 11:18 AM.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Your defrag looks ok to me.

I don't know for sure but that area to the right might be system restore, if it is then it doesn't matter if it's not with the rest of the files.

If you want to try a Free defrager Power Defragmenter 1.82 works real good http://www.excessive-software.tk/
    I tend to agree with FG on the system restore files.

Quote Originally Posted by PIPER
    I tend to agree with FG on the system restore files.
    Wouldn't they be shown as "unmoveable" then?

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    good point.....not really sure because they will over write themselves periodically and consume a fairly large part of the drive unless u specify otherwise.

The bar of colours are not entirely accurate. The blue files that are isolated though they look small on the diagram, may be larger than you think. I believe that as long as the file is not fragmented and is larger than 100Mb, the defragmenter won't defragment it. Usually I just do a few defrag passes to ensure that all files are defragmented and it usually works.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    No, in the XP defrager only the Page file is shown as unmoveable.

Anyway I don't know what the isolated section to the right is, I just turned off system restore, defraged and its still there.

Defragging and navel-gazing are the same thing. There is no reason to worry about it or to buy a third party program. There is some reason to believe that contigious files can be slower to read due to the way that the heads access the drive. A file written so that it occupies every third/fourth sector would read fastest while appearing to be the most fragmented.