Thread: WIN2K Pro disk repair

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar

WIN2K Pro disk repair

is thier any disk repair tool i can use that will fix errors in 2000 pro i tryed nortans 2002 but it says disk is locked by another process,then im stuck with crappy chkdsk wich recently currupted my software.log file wich in turn made me haveto format since none of the recovery solutions worked, is thier anything i can use to find/fix errors,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    click yes when it asks you to run chkdsk on the next reboot. Then reboot your system. That should take care of your issue. If not, then you can try this, I know it works in windows XP, but as for windows 2000 it would be worth a shot,

start run type sfc /scannow

wait it out, make sure you have your windows 2000 cd available.

System File Checker

A command-line utility called System File Checker (SFC.EXE) allows an Administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. System File Checker can also set the registry value SFCScan discussed in Additional Registry Settings later in this article.

System File Checker will also check and repopulate the %Systemroot%\system32\dllcache directory. If the dllcache directory becomes corrupted or unusable, SFC /SCANNOW, SFC /SCANONCE, SFC /SCANBOOT, or SFC /PURGECACHE can be used to repair the contents of the dllcache directory.

SFC.exe scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions. The following shows the syntax:

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/SCANONCE] [/SCANBOOT] [/CANCEL] [/QUIET] [/PURGECACHE] [/CACHESIZE=x]

/SCANNOW Scans all protected system files immediately.

/SCANONCE Scans all protected system files once.

/SCANBOOT Scans all protected system files at every boot.

/CANCEL Cancels all pending scans of protected system files.

/QUIET Replaces all incorrect file versions without prompting the user.

/PURGECACHE Purges the file cache and scans all protected system files immediately.

/CACHESIZE=x Sets the file cache size (in megabytes).

BB

works great,

thanks it works sweet, is thier a utill that will fix errors ccheck disk crashed my sys by corrupting my software.log file, wich blew, i did that ounce and thats when it currupted the software.log file, then rebooted and gave a nasty error, and wouldnt load no matter what repair method id try, so i gave up and formatted =*( but itd prob help if you knew my sys specs,
    if you want em reply, seeing as it maybe awhile and my comp hardware may change,

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    WINDOWS 2000 SYSTEM RECOVERY

http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa040200a.htm

Try the site above for creating an emergency repair disk. YOu can also use ontrack, (linked below) to keep your system in order.

ANother emergency repair disk site linked below:

http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/In...?ArticleID=284

Also make sure you have all the latest updates and service packs installed on your windows 2000 installation. Microsoft does a decent job in releasing updates, but I would make sure you have everything updated just to make sure you system is running smoothly.

IF YOU NEED TO BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY IN WINDOWS 2000 try the site below:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q322755

For future reference, if you ever go to XP, the below will help:

http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa020120a.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...naging/asr.asp

try those sites for the automated system recovery and system restore functions. I have used both and they work great. Another thing you can do is use a program that allows you to backup important system files like ontrack systems :
    http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecovery/

IT allows you to essentially do the same thing as system restore. Works wonderfully well. YOu might also want to make a boot disk for windows XP if something were to happen to cause your system not to boot, this would let you get into the ASR program (automated system recovery)

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q310/9/94.asp

that is if your XP cd is not bootable.

I hope that helps.
    BB
    Last edited by Big Booger; July 20th, 2002 at 08:13 AM.

its helped majorly

Iv got service pack 3 from microsoft, and it seems to have i xed all my probs cept for the random crash but i know the prob its prob the ramsink, and artic silver 3 i coated the insde ofr the ramsinks with, since it was only recomended for pc 2100, or 100/133 mines pc 2700 333, so i made sure it was kept cool, and i found if any tiniy bit even as much as a milogram touchs the rams pins or the slots o nthe mobo it will stop the comp from booting, for refrence ill give ya my sys specs,

Msi KT333 Mother Board Via Chipset
    AMD Athalon Xp 2200+
    ARKUA 8568 Heatsink
    Eneremax 600 watt PSU
    1024 mb 333mhz mem
    Thermaltake active mem cooling kit
    GF 4 Ti4600 Msi
    Game Theater XP soun card+external Rack
    Nec 19" flat screen
    60 gig seagate 7200
    120 WD Caviar 2mb cache
    100 WD Caviar 8mb cache
    sony 40x12x48x Cd writer
    Pioneer dvd-r

and to house all this iv used the Lian-Li 7 usb,

my futuer specs will have the amd claw hammer, and atis 9700 video card, and a Nforce 2 board to support DDR 400,

but this current system took an entire 4 months of working the oil feilds to afford, so i dont reccomend tryrin it again, except when the new vid and mem come out,

Very sweet specs!

Three hard drives. Considered hard drive fans? Think heat!

yes i use hard cano

yewah i got hard cano fomr thermal take for them, im htinking of switching to liquid, but this sys is my baby (LOL) it cost me too much to have anything spirting and deading anything, plus the vid card is a asus V8460 ultra deluxe, my clocks are, core 300/651 im not sure how much higher i can go, but seeing as it is a 1pound copper heatsink how much higher do you think would be safe ?,and right now my sys is running 42 degrees cpu, and 24 chasis, this comp an my P4 notebook cost me alot but i wanted a kick ass lan so i can play doom 3 smoothly, and host a few dedicated servers, and lans, at 100 mbs,