Thread: How Spyware Works

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

How Spyware Works

Has your computer ever become so slow that you can fix yourself a snack in the time it takes your word processor to open? Spyware may be to blame.

Spyware is a category of computer programs that attach themselves to your operating system in nefarious ways. They can suck the life out of your computer's processing power. They are designed to track your Internet habits, nag you with unwanted sales offers or generate traffic for their host Web site. According to recent estimates, more than two-thirds of all personal computers are infected with some kind of spyware [ref]. But before you chuck your computer out the window and move to a desert island, you might want to read on. This HowStuffWorks article explains how spyware gets on your computer, what it does there and how to get rid of it.

Source:Howstuffworks.com

Help me im drownin in spyware

Hey Guys i need Help my computer has become a malware/spyware heaven and it has become slow as well as causing explorer faults ...
    Please could you tell me the name of software that may be available to clean my system of these advrtising residue...
    I heard some spyware removal tools can be dangerous as if some registry file is removed it could cause a system crash ...

...Help....!!
    < experience is a wonderful thing it lets you recognize a mistake once you make it again :-P >

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Check out Egg Head's Spyware Removal Thread It has a wealth of infomation and links / specifics on apps to use

Good luck...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Adware slaps you with adverts - hence 'adware'.
    Spyware somehow spies on your actions and sends data back - hence 'spyware'.
    Diallers dial out to premium rate numbers - hence 'dialler'.

It's not brain surgery.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Titanium Member
    UK citizens confused by security terminology probably get the same results or worse in US

Many people in the UK don't understand terms commonly used for Internet scams and hacking attacks, a study suggests.

A survey conducted by Populus and entitled "Do you speak geek?" revealed that words, such as phishing, rogue dialler, Trojan and spyware were often a mystery to 1,000 people questioned, of whom over half were Internet users.

Did you get their email addresses?
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Is it true is you buy the spyware product of the internet that the people in command of the spyware steels your money?

Spyware is rampant throughout the internet. It is almost, if not impossible to browse the internet without encountering it. And as you mentioned, some anti-spyware software actually contain malware. The user thinks that he/she are taking action to rid their computer of malware when they are actually contaminating their computer.

This link discusses many products designed to remove spyware. Hopefully, the information will be helpful, especially the section for "trustworthy anti-spyware products".

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Why do people create spyware , what is the purpose except getting the user frustrated?

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    to steal ur internet banking passwords, then rape u of your money thx, but no thx

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

We use and recommend Spyware Doctor by PC Tools.

One thing though, it does slow your computer down a bit, not dramatically but just enough to piss you off. It is most effective and award winning as per PC World Magazine (and us'ns)

We disable Spyware Doctor and run a full scan each week. I've seen it find thousands of pieces of spyware on machines brought here. We like it, we just alter how we use it so it doesn't hog up our speed.