Thread: Need somel ideas on what is cause cloudy streaks in attached image

Need somel ideas on what is cause cloudy streaks in attached image

Has anyone run into this kind of result? If not, I need your suggestions anyway.
    See attachment. Notice the cloudy lighter-colored-than-background streaks across the backgrround and the grirl's cheek. They show up in a jpg file like this, and in a tif. They show up at different scanning dpi. They show up in each of 4 different viewers. I cleaned my scanner glass on every surface I could reach thoroughly. The marks are not in the original 8x10 commercial photographic print (Walmart's) from which I made the attachment. (I don't know if Walmart's used a conventional or digital camera. The print was made on an 8x10 sheet of single weight (quite thin--it passes light very readily) printer paper but I don't know if it was done digitally or with a conventional chemical process. The marks did not show up in another 8x10 photograph nor in a 4x6 photograph that I scanned. The picture was made only 2 years ago.

HELP, PLEASE, PLEASE!
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Banned
    simply smuge it and then blure it using Photoshop

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    The marks are not in the original 8x10 commercial photographic print (Walmart's) from which I made the attachment. (I don't know if Walmart's used a conventional or digital camera.
    Walmart uses (the best) FUJI Frontier which is digital.

Are you sure the marks aren't on the photo ? look at it closely under a magnifying glass. Walmart uses matte paper, maybe that photo has dust ?

Did you try a different position on the scanner ?

Are you sure the scanner lid is pressing the photo flat ?

Does it do this with other photos ?

Has the 8x10 been displayed where sun light hits it ?

I am pretty sure I discovered what the problem was (is). This is what I think now. The print paper will not lie completely flat even in its frame with the glass front and heavy cardboard backing. So there are waves in the paper as it were, and flat spots--like a series of non-breaking waves on the sea. The light coming off the tops of the waves is different, I believe, from that coming off the flat areas. It's very subtle and often hard to see unless you hold the picture just so. Further evidence is that the photo, placed flat down on a glass tabletop, will not lie flat. Perhaps the wave portions of the pictures somehow got stretched a little causing that area to bulge.

I guess lankan_man has the answer but it's a lot of slow careful work.

Follow-up. Fastgame in a private email suggested I put the print between 2 sheets of glass with a heavy weight on top. I did so and waited 2 or 3 days. It worked...the streaks are gone. Very cool!!

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    wumply Im glad you got it worked out , thats a nice portrait

Yes, it is! I'm glad you enjoy it. I ran across it quite by luck. That little girl is 5 now!!