Thread: gateway removal

Titanium Member

gateway removal

Will someone tell me how? It won't even let me disable it

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    unplug your connection to your router and it will disappear.. at least it should.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    unplug your connection to your router and it will disappear.. at least it should.
    HOw come my computer does not have this and the other one does. They are both connected to the router. I see that thing going off and on and off again. It used to rely on that con. to connect but I deleted/disabled some stuff - now it does that occasional appearance for a second.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Sometimes it could be the UPnP, XP has a liking for setting up an Internet gateway for connection to a router... check the services on both PCs

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    HOw come my computer does not have this and the other one does. They are both connected to the router. I see that thing going off and on and off again. It used to rely on that con. to connect but I deleted/disabled some stuff - now it does that occasional appearance for a second.
    Did you "use to rely on that connection" when you had it connected directly to the modem and you'd have your password and username to type in to get a connection *you could autodial and save the pass and username as well.

If so, then you need to remove that from the network install. You can delete it in the "network connections", in the control panel.

if you used an ISP install disk, you might have to use that to uninstall it.. I don't know the particulars of your setup.

And you can remove that gateway feature completely if you want:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

though I don't recommend it.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Are they both XP? Sometimes different firewalls prevent the gateway from showing. I've also noticed that I've had to "add my router" as a upnp device before it works properly.
    Last edited by SupaStar; March 15th, 2005 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Added screenshot.