Thread: case looks like its full of water.

case looks like its full of water.

i got a new casemod in mind..but i need to know if anyone here has ever messed around with air pumps. i was thinking of making a 1/4 thick acrylic box that would cover my case window..and put an air tube from a fish tank at the bottom of it..and hook it up to an airpump..and have bubbles flowing up.but i would want it to circulate the air thats in the box..not from outside...wouldnt have to change the water as often since it would be sealed in. so..anyone know of any quiet 12v or 7v airpumps that are kinda small..and if not a 12v availabe..how could i mod one from the petstore..im not electronicly inclined.

i got the idea from lynchknots how not to water cool post. thnx for the idea.
    Last edited by TestMAD; March 15th, 2005 at 04:23 AM.
    AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF | 2 x PowMax dual fan 550Watt | Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI | GeIL 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory | 2 x EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup | Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    hmmm...interesting idea.

2 things that came to my head. First off, be sure to use distilled water and also add something to the water to make sure that nothing grows. I would ask ppl who use water cooling if they use anything special for it. Second of all is the pumps. The pumps I remember had 2 air holes. One for bringing the air from outside and one for pushing it into the tank. In theory, you could just run a pipe from the "outside" hole to your tank. I'm not sure how great the suction is on these though and I wouldnt rely exclusively on it for cooling.

This type of mod has been done before. Here are some plans.

LINK

LINK2

LINK3
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

thnx for the links efc, but im not really into putting an actual tank in my pc. the window mod from lian li is basicly the same idea..just fake fish. Here's what i've decided on doing with it so far tho. im thinking of using this idea in the new PC im building. the case will be a CM Stacker case. It's got a round side intake for a fan..but the hole is prolly about 10in across. So..get 2 11 or 12 in. squared pieces of acrylic with 3/8 or 1/2 in side pieces. Drill a hole into the bottom of one side piece and ito the top of another side piece, and then drill a hole into the middle of a piece for the top. Take some time with a dremel and notch the holes out on the side pieces so that u can put a connector in it...one of the ones with a hex nut ring on it. That way when u put it in the hole it wont twist...then glue them in with some hot glue or silicone sealer. The piece with the hole in the middle will need some type of rubber grommet or a cap. then attach the air tube from a local pet store to the the side with the bottom connector to it...these are tubes sealed on one end with holes punched into it..then seal that onto the connector..then assemble the pieces. make sure that the air tube is in the bottom of the acrylic box. then hook up an air pump from the pet store with a check valve in the line..it prevents water from going back into the pump. after its all connected find a way to get a tube sealed onto the intake of the pump, and connect it to the top hole on the other side of the box. then wire it up so that it will work from a 4pin molex if possible. Start the pump. Fill the box with a premix of distilled water, blue food coloring or what ever color someone would like, and some algae addative into the top hole of the box. LEAVE ABOUT 3/4 in. OF AIR AT THE TOP OF THE BOX. Close it with watever plug was purchased for it. And that would be it... personally i think it would look great if there was alot of uv reactive stuff inside the PC case. Just add 1 or 2 uv and a blue cathode inside and viola! This is a great way to have a water cooled case and apply the theme into the case. this would also work for tubes that could be modded into the cornes of the bezel or where ever. I hope to do this mod shortly after i get the case im gonna use for it. if someone should read this and try it before i can post anything back.. feeel free to add where i may have left something out, or where a problem was found and corrected.
    Last edited by TestMAD; March 15th, 2005 at 16:38 PM.
    AMD64 3800+ w/stock HSF | 2 x PowMax dual fan 550Watt | Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI | GeIL 512MB DDR400 PC3200 Ultra Series Dual Channel Memory | 2 x EVGA 6600 GT 128MB PCI-E on SLI setup | Thermaltake Tsunami Case w/120mm

Sounds like a great project. Hope you have a digital camera so that you can keep a record and post them for us.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Yeah keep track of everything and you can put your story on TZ front page news

sweet. i feel special now. when i start this mod..i will take pics of it. i went and got a new dig cam today. it's only 3.2Mp, but its nice for a 100$...came with a free battery charger and an aluminum case.

oh. almost forgot.. i found a a problem i didnt mention about the mod..mounting it to the side panel. i came up with an easy solution. after you remove the screen mesh from the side of the stacker case u gotta cut out some support material it has there for a fan..after u cut it out..u gotta find some like rubber stripping that can go over the edge of the circle..that way it wont scratch the acrylic window that would involve so much work. also to mount it..use some double sided tape..the good stuf, on both the box and the pump..and find a way to get the tubing to stay attached to the side panel as well...keeping in mind that it may all have to be removed at some point for any number of reasons.