Thread: Windows xp Press <DEL> to continue

Windows xp Press <DEL> to continue

I had a Maxtor harddrive failure and was able to install a new harddrive. after I installed it I believe that I next put windows ME on that new harddrive. Thne knowing how much ME is a crappy program, I installed win XP Pro on that same drive to give me a dual boot. With a dual boot you get just past the post and the bios inforamation and it asks you if you want to boot to ME or XP. I then removed ME and now when I boot XP it goes to the same point as the dual boot and says press <DEL> to continue. If I do not press <DEL> it will not go any farther. How do I get rid of this so that I do not have to press <DEL> eveny time it boots up?does it have something to do with boot.ini? here is my boot .ini file.

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=signature(b1edccea)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    signature(b1edccea)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
    Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

That's what mine says. Everything there is the same expect of the /NoExecute=OptIn

When you say you deleted ME, did you just remove it from the bootloader? Or did you delete the entire windows ME folders and files as well as the bootloader line?

Do you have a SCSI or SATA hard disk? It is unusual and usually incorrect to use the 'signature' syntax in the boot.ini file.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?