Thread: help me find my linux

help me find my linux

im new to linux the other day i installed ubuntu on my win 98 computer well linux was great but the grub loader did not pick up win 98 so i had to fdisk and partition the primary partition and reinstall win 98, but in the process i lost linux i dont know if the partition (logical) is hidden. how do i recover linux im new but willing to learn

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Did you keep linux and windows on separate partitions? If so, it would just be a matter of reinstalling your bootloader for linux. Providing it sees the windows partition this time everything should be fine.

Take a look at this link for your particular linux variety:

http://www.jsanten.demon.nl/linux/bootsectsolution.htm

yes they were on seperate partitions a 13gig for 98 and a 6.5gig for linux and a 1.0 gig partition for the swap file. is it possible that reinstalling win98 trashed the mbr

yeah I'd say it did trash the MBR the way you had it with a dual boot from the linux loader. Now you basically have to give Linux control, and have it see the windows install and you're all set.

thanks for your help i wont be able to get to it til wednesday but im sure the support you gave me will help. again thank you

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    yeah I'd say it did trash the MBR the way you had it with a dual boot from the linux loader. Now you basically have to give Linux control, and have it see the windows install and you're all set.
    That's a ditto....I had the same issue awhile back and corrected it as BB suggested.

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    help me find my linux.

if that doesn't work....look in the garage next to your honda....lol.....jk....a little humor...wah ha ha

Talking thanks

this is not my main computer just a p3 that i can afford to make and learn to correct my mistakes on. still i amm going to upgrade it as much as possible and install a few distros on linux on it. again thanks for the help

bb thanks for your help everything is working fine

Quote Originally Posted by unisol
    bb thanks for your help everything is working fine
    What steps did you take to recover it? From the link I posted?

http://www.jsanten.demon.nl/linux/bootsectsolution.htm

i had to wipe everything clean clean install of windows and a fresh install of linux it worked out great no i am looking foward to upgading to hoary 5.04 from warty 4.10

i had to wipe everything clean clean install of windows and a fresh install of linux it worked out great no i am looking foward to upgading to hoary 5.04 from warty 4.10 i am new to linux so it will take a while for me to get down the concepts