Thread: MS Access: help needed with Reports

MS Access: help needed with Reports

I'm doing some work on MS Access and I could use some help with it. I'm facing this little problem and I've attached two images to explain it.

In the Report, as you can see, I have 2 fields: "abcd" and "wxyz". And I want to add a text box at the bottom of column "wxyz" to calculate the sum of values in the "wxyz" field. In Preview, the function is working all right, but the box is appearing after the first value instead of being at the bottom.

So I've tried to move the text box to the Page Footer, but the result was an error, and besides, it's way too low.

I also tried to mess with the "Sorting and Grouping". This worked fine, but the order of the values, which is supposed to be descending, was screwed up.

I guess anyone with some experience with Access can easily fix it, but both my teacher ( !) and I are clueless.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Your best bet might be to restart the sample project... sometimes some settings can get too screwed around...

I will try to make one myself and give steps involved...

however, idea i have is to use Query "select sum(ABC) etc" then simply display that returned value in the report

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Banned
    I'm no expert on Access (I use FoxPro) but totals definitely need to be in the Page Footer (not Detail) band. You say you got an error when you tried this. What was the error? Make sure the total field is wide enough to contain the value.

Thanks for the response guys! After I kept on trying, I found the solution.

Actually, I had previously tried what Nikto mentioned and the text box said "#Error" when I went into Preview. But the proper way is to place it in the Report footer (not the Page footer).

Take a look at the attachments to see what caused the confusion: In design view, Report Footer appears below Page Footer, but in Preview, it's the opposite. Because I was working in design view, I didn't consider placing the text box in the Report footer thinking that would be way too low on the page when I print it.

Banned
    Report Footer prints a single total at the end of the report. Page Footer prints a running total at the end of each page.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikto
    Report Footer prints a single total at the end of the report. Page Footer prints a running total at the end of each page.
    yep..

but glad you figured it out hotmale.

Yes, it was a simple fix as I had expected and I now understand how the footers work. But when I asked my good-for-nothing teacher, she didn't have an answer.