Thread: set an app to start as windows service

Titanium Member

set an app to start as windows service

set an app to start as windows service - does anyone know how? OK I'll tell you why. I used to use phone tray which is a caller ID for computer. It has a setting to start as a windows service. I was able to see announcement while in screensaver mode. I have a new caller ID and it only allows to start with windows. How can I enable it to start as a windows service? Thanks

There is a MS tool called srvany to do that which comes as part of the resource kit.

http://channels.lockergnome.com/news...h_srvany.phtml

I believe there are also 3rd party apps to do same.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Titanium Member
    thanks curio - edit - ok, I'm lost. Typing this only gives me a error

To install Srvany as a service, issue the following command:

instsrv MyService c:\path\srvany.exe
    I found this!
    What Is NT Wrapper? Released January 2005 - http://www.duodata.de/ntwrapper/index.htm

The NT Wrapper allows standard Windows 32 bit applications or scripts to be run as a Windows NT/2K/XP/2003 Service. NT Wrapper features: Easy configuration thru a GUI and simple INI files, prioritization of sub-processes, custom environments, CPU binding, redirecting of Stdout/Stderr to file, logging to the event log and to disk and the capability to run multiple applications in a single NT Wrapper service instance.

Currently two different versions are available:
    NT Wrapper Lite - Freeware for noncommercial use.
    NT Wrapper Pro - Commercial, must be registered.
    Cool! Got it working

Last edited by lynchknot; April 16th, 2005 at 18:12 PM.

To use srvany (not that you need to now) just put it somewhere (%systemroot%) and install the service with the above command (instsrv %whatever% %systemroot%\srvany.exe). To start it type sc start %whatever% at the command prompt. This only starts SrvAny - you need to manually add the progs. Obviously you also need instsrv.exe for this.

There is an excellent step by step (including adding programs) here http://www.haxial.com/faq/auto-startup/mswinservice/ which also includes links to some other 3rd party apps. Your app looks nice though be sure to post back if it is all working lovely, some apps will shut down when you log off even if you started them as a service so check that out too.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?