Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does ME have ANY avantages over 98?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Agreed FG...I have XP Pro running on an old Celeron 400 with 256mb ram. It's slow but good enough for internet, homework, and I-Tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    It's an OEM copy:

I've sold several OEM copies like this and on the cheap. And they were legit. Mainly Japanese OSes because the computers I've bought came with them. I then sell the software for a nominal fee, unused with a legitimate serial number.

However Microsucks considers this "Piracy"... but I say piss on MS.. If I buy an OEM OS and want to transfer it from one PC to another, I damn well will.
    I'd like to follow that principle, but on the other hand I'm stuck on the "either it's legal or it's not" prblem. If it's not allowed to buy an OEM version like this, I might as well just get a free version? Ebay has an OEM policy which says that some hardware must accompany OEM software - can anyone tell me if this actually legalises the software or is just to protect eBay?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg
    I'd like to follow that principle, but on the other hand I'm stuck on the "either it's legal or it's not" prblem. If it's not allowed to buy an OEM version like this, I might as well just get a free version? Ebay has an OEM policy which says that some hardware must accompany OEM software - can anyone tell me if this actually legalises the software or is just to protect eBay?
    I too sold it with hardware.. usually defective stuff.. or way outdated. I sold the OEM soft with some ISA cards hehehe What a way to recycle.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg
    Ebay has an OEM policy which says that some hardware must accompany OEM software - can anyone tell me if this actually legalises the software or is just to protect eBay?
    I had same issue too... more to see if our dodgy business practices were actually dodgy... So I called up Microsoft Australia, and said that we were selling OEM software plus an old mouse, is this legal?? They said Yes it is legal to sell/buy OEM software as long at it is with hardware that goes with the PC ie mouse/keyboard.
    So, i think, as long as the OEM hasnt been activated, it is perfectly fine to buy OEM licence

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I spoke with a MS represenative about the legality of software licenses recently. Basically what he said was this - it's illegal.

Whatever you do and however you do it, it's illegal. However his arguments were full of anomalies, he stated that the software license is tied to the mainboard - never seen an OS installed on a mainboard myself? He stated that it is illegal to transfer the license from one PC to another and that the license is tied to the user (shome mishtake here shhhurely, hic*). I didn't argue with him because well you don't want MS hounding you around do you they have way too much money and time on their hands - and I don't. He changed his argument and what the license is tied to every time I gave him a different scenario and get this, the license he says is the bit you click at the end of the install (The Eula).

The COA label merely confirms that the software was installed from genuine media although not surprisingly at other times he said that the COA label is part of the license. What chance have you got - I don't think he even knew what the license was. And to be even better confused if you install OEM software you cannot install it by running setup (illegal) you must create a master image using Sysprep or a Ris image and install that image.

We had a good laugh about it - after he had left.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

I think microsoft has no shame. Windows me is the worst os I have ever seen. I tried to fix my friends comp that had me on it and it froze up on me every 15min. Microsoft should have replaced everyone’s me copy (including oem) with a xp home copy. To release what was basically a xp beta version and force it down peoples throats is shameful. If they don’t do a decent job with longhorn I’m going to switch to linux very soon. Maybe their xp 64bit will have all the bugs fixed by then. And they wonder why their products are so pirated like I want to activate my os every time I reinstall it. That’s why they have corporate copies b/c they know businesses will not put up with the Sh*t. Good luck to anyone who got stuck with windows me.
    Last edited by neoLeech; May 30th, 2005 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neoLeech
    I think microsoft has no shame. Windows me is the worst os I have ever seen. I tried to fix my friends comp that had me on it and it froze up on me every 15min. Microsoft should have replaced everyone’s me copy (including oem) with a xp home copy. To release what was basically a xp beta version and force it down peoples throats is shameful. If they don’t do a decent job with longhorn I’m going to switch to linux very soon. Maybe their xp 64bit will have all the bugs fixed by then. And they wonder why their products are so pirated like I want to activate my os every time I reinstall it. That’s why they have corporate copies b/c they know businesses will not put up with the Sh*t. Good luck to anyone who got stuck with windows me.
    Hey BB, neoleech has a way with words.

Now where is that new Netscape file that is said to break IE.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

So far I've had no real problems with ME as compared to 98, meaning both preform about the same for me. Then again I turned off system restore right off the bat, installed firefox, winamp, and avg before ever hooking my modem in.

To answer the question stated in the first post ME has one advantage, MAYBE two depending on how lazy you are.

It boots faster(although without a realtime dos enviroment a fair number of older apps don't work).

It comes with windows movie maker(which i have yet to see a download for that is NOT for xp...which irritates me to no end, given my compute'rs specs xp would hog rescources to no end). Granted this probably isn't an issue since I know there are some really good move making/editing apps that work with the 9x line(though 9x support seems to be phasing out amongst software companies).

ME is crap get rid of it and install anything else. at some point your computer might do something weird and with ME there is a good chance you wont be able to fix it. Win98 SE is deffinetly better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub
    ME is crap get rid of it and install anything else. at some point your computer might do something weird and with ME there is a good chance you wont be able to fix it. Win98 SE is deffinetly better.
    I wont say that Me is crap, i mean it was still great when it came out, ya sure its not better then XP, but its still gud.

Can you send the board model number? I might be able to track down a memory stick or two that will work.

Or, you can just search your motherboard model number for specifications, and that might render some leads .. dunno

Good luck!