Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suse 9.3

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Suse 9.3

Well here I am surfing on my new install of Suse 9.3 using Konqueror for browsing. It's new, different. this browser seems kinda slow compared to what I'm used to but I'm new to any Linux distro and unclear on what all to expect.

I'll try to keep this updated on my experiences if anyone is interested...

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Firefox surfs a bit faster than Konqueror. Also, if you're bold, you can disable some services running in the background. Funny thing about Linux/Unix - you're running a GUI on top of a shell. Like Windows v3.1 and DOS. Soon you'll start experimenting with KDE vs Gnome (and the tons of themes for each). Suse vs Mandrake vs RedHat vs Fedora vs FreeBSD vs... well you get the picture. Enjoy the learning.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

*Update*

I installed this onto thesame system that I was running Ubuntu on. I was gonna try the dualboot thing, but Suse didn't like Ubuntu and with my limited ability could not get Suse installed without performing a clean install. Possibly because Ubuntu is Debian based and Suse is not.

I'm really liking this OS. Haven't gotten into anything deep yet, just light internet and goofing around but so far so good. Easy to use for most things that I have done.

More to follow...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    How would you compare Ubuntu and Suse? Pros and Cons of each?

For one the Suse interface when using KDE seems a lot more configureable, with lots more eye candy. I've posted a screenshot here: http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...4121#post94121
    It's a clean desktop, seems to have almost everything included that anyone would need for a fully functional system, as most distros do I suppose.

I had trouble installing things under Ubuntu, but haven't tried yet in Suse.

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    Ubuntu is still in it's infancy. Suse has a huge developer following (as do most of the main distros). In the end, they all do the same thing pretty much the same way. I prefer Fedora - but that’s just me and my ties to RedHat. But I'm glad more and more people are jumping into Linux. It can only make it better.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Finally decided to make a leap and purchase Suse 9.3. Installed it on my a machine I only used for development stuff (backed up of course ). Anyways, this is something really different and cool. I have to play with it to learn the many differences (use to Windoze).

Installation wasn't too difficult. Ran into a problem installing OpenOffice, but after 3 hours sleep, I managed to fix it. Detected hardware without a problem. I'll report back and let you know how I'm doing.

Those of you who are using Linux, what was the learning curve like? What was your reason for switching? Also, what have you learned that you found to be "very interesting"?

Thanks in advance,

Vernon
    "If you want SQUARE work, you DON'T CUT CORNERS!!!!"

Another question....

What Linux sites/forums do you frequent?

TIA,

V

Quote Originally Posted by FBM357
    Another question....

What Linux sites/forums do you frequent?

TIA,

V
    This is a must do. Go to TUX Magazine, online magazine and download old issues. This magazine is built around the linux beginner.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

I love my Suse. I'm getting ready to add another HDD to that system and install Kubuntu on it.

My interest is simply for the knowledge of how to install, configure, and use these different OS's.

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    I love my Suse. I'm getting ready to add another HDD to that system and install Kubuntu on it.

My interest is simply for the knowledge of how to install, configure, and use these different OS's.
    Rik, have you looked at doing any "development"?

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    This is a must do. Go to TUX Magazine, online magazine and download old issues. This magazine is built around the linux beginner.
    Hey efc,

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by FBM357
    Rik, have you looked at doing any "development"?
    Actually no. I have no experience with any of that. The only things that I can develop is an attitude and a hangover...

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    The only things that I can develop is an attitude and a hangover...
    You sound qualified for networking

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

I'm a SuSE lover too - but then again I like just about every Linux Distro I ever tried Whoppix, Knoppix, SuSE, Fedora, Lycoris, Mandrake, RH (from 5.x), Caldera, SME, Xandros ... and on and on and on....

You could try a new one every week, so now I mainly stick with SuSE which is always a polished performer and is now backed by Novell and is always getting better and use the other distros Live Cds plus SME Server for server tasks.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?