Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Media Player

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Windows Media Player

I need you all to test something for me. I think I have found a bug in the media player.

If you have an AVI file, or some other form of a movie that is compatible with media player, I need you to open it up and play the movie in full screen. Once it is playing I need you to hit the windows KEY (the one between the ALT and CTRL keys)+ D to minimize the screen. Now try to maximize the screen? Does it work?
    For me the results have always been that is maximizes back to a black screen with the movie sound playing normally.
    I can never get the picture back and the only way to resume is if I end the media player and relaunch the program!
    Thanks for the help, and testing.
    BB
    PLease post your results.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Ok I tried it & it does as you say...black blank screen with sound. Works ok in full mode , but not full screen.

So where do we go from here ?

Waiting to make sure that this is legit...
    I need about 3 more of you to confirm this.
    Then I am going to send Microsoft and email...
    And put this around the web on several sites
    BB

tried it on mine started the movie of maximized: hit the windows key which minimized it and also opened my start menu, didnt have any problems maximizing it again

sorry man you can discount mine for your testing if you like.........it wouldnt be fair since its a kick ass machine

what do you mean opened your start menu zero?

I meant start the movie in media player, go to full screen, not just maximized window, make sure all you see is the MOVIE on your screen, no buttons or anything. Then hit the windows Key +D
    to minimize. Then try to restore or maximize it!
    Please let me know your results.
    I have tried this on three XP machines, and all 3 have failed the test!
    BB

[EDIT]> Sorry Boogs types faster tha me ! plus I keep going back & forth doing test...if I knew he was first , sorry
    Last edited by FastGame; April 13th, 2002 at 07:02 AM.

Big Booger I just also did test on my Surf Rig , Game Rig , Test Rig & Son's comp & all is as you say !
    Last edited by FastGame; April 13th, 2002 at 07:02 AM.

okay redone it an yes your right, black screen with only the mouse arrow visible, set my keystroke macros back to default to get it to do what you were talking about..... nasty little clitch

found a solution
    hit alt key PLUS ENTER. It brings back the full screen, but I still believe this is a bug or glitch.
    BB

Your solution does work and I guess you could call it a clitch, but are you testing keyboard functionality only.....cause if you maximize it using the mouse by clicking on the view full screen button it restores it without the clitch

Your solution does work and I guess you could call it a clitch, but are you testing keyboard functionality only.....cause if you maximize it using the mouse by clicking on the view full screen button it restores it without the clitch
    what view full screen button? I dont see it after you hit windows key +d. It puts the minized mediaplayer in the XP taskbar. YOu right click on the minimized button and there are three options
    close, move, restore....

Can you be more specific?
    BB

sorry Boogs I just reread your post
    my mistake sorry, dam mornings should drink some caffine to get my brain working
    Last edited by zErO; April 13th, 2002 at 16:24 PM.

Most of the time it does as you say. But sometimes, when I press Win+D repetivly it works. Anyway, I could make the picture come back by pressing Alt+Enter on the black screen.

Thanks Kajetan.
    I never thought about hitting it repetitively, but it does work. I still feel this is a bug, software glitch or something that needs to be addressed in the next edition of Media Player...
    I have sent microsoft a bug report, but I dunno if they even read them...
    BB

congrats, u found a bug. its a known issue and will be fixed with either sp1 or wmp9. no need to send to microsoft, they already know, they pay beta testers to stay up for weeks on end to find these little things. all youll get back is an automated response saying thank you for your submission and it will be fixed soon.