Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: computer freeze ups

Titanium Member
    Uninstall then reinstall. Java is a bad thing right now anyway. I have it disabled in Firefox.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Uninstall your Java thru Add/remove Programs in control panel. Then you can reinstall from the website at http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Silver Member
    Sorry guys, but I do not see anything labeled JAVA in Add / Remove programs in Control Panel. What am I missing here ?

Titanium Member
    Look for J2SE runtime environment- I'm not sure how to uninstall Java. There's no uninstall in it's folder. I would probably just delete the folder and clean up using reg cleaner. I don't have java listed either but I have this

Last edited by lynchknot; July 6th, 2005 at 01:15 AM.

Silver Member
    Don't have that entry Lynchknot Here are five entries that could be questionable. The firsty three I have no idea what they do or are for. SHOCKWAVE, SOLID PEER, AND SP2 CONNECTION PATCHER. I also have had Kazaa Lite K+++ v2.4.3 for months without any problem. The last one is Morpheous, which I guess might be the problem, since I downloaded it recently. Not sure if that is when the problems started.

Titanium Member
    sounds like you don't have Java installed but rather MS JavaVM maybe: http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:...ient=firefox-a

Or try installing the latest sun Java. Let it check your configuration (use IE): http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_automatic.jsp
    Last edited by lynchknot; July 6th, 2005 at 02:28 AM.

Silver Member
    Hi lynchknot--I think we got it. I downloaded that latest Sun Java that you gave me the link to. Then I went back to that fireworks site. I was able to click about 10 to 12 times without a freeze up. Before, the computer froze up after 3 or 4 clicks.
    Many thanks to you, efc, rik, 1badger11, and egghead for all the help and suggestions. I knew sooner or later you experts would figure it out !!!! Mike

Titanium Member
    You're welcome mike.

hehe, wow - he said "expert" - Hang around mike, you'll see the truth before long (I'm usually the one with bizarre problems)

I was able to click about 10 to 12 times without a freeze up
    - wait. Are you saying it still freezes? That's wrong. I can click it 1000 or all week+ without a freeze.
    Last edited by lynchknot; July 6th, 2005 at 03:12 AM.

Silver Member
    Hi lynchknot---no freezes. I just meant that I clicked up to about 12 times without a freeze up. Before it would freeze up at about the third or fourth click. I just went back again and clicked about 20 times very fast, and all was fine. Thanks again to all !!!

Silver Member
    I'm back. Had two freeze ups this evening. I was filling out a form on the internet, and I tried to copy / paste an address and the computer froze. Had to manually shut down. Then I was on that Hallmark site to send e-cards, well when I went to send the card, the computer froze up again. This time I could at least get to task manager but was unable to "end task" the problem application. All I got was that the program was not responding. I then went back to that fireworks site, and was able to click about 20 times or so, very fast, without a freeze up ????? Vey confused. Should I maybe format the computer and reload everything, or maybe try that "Repair function" by booting to the XP disc ?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It's gonna be hard to say in this. On a sitye that requires intense JAVA it works fine but on a "lite" JAVA site it freezes...

Try other card sites and see what it does. Ensure that those sites aren't "Flash" or Shockwave enabled. Then if they aren't, we have more work.

Titanium Member
    does this occur with any browser you use?

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Vey confused. Should I maybe format the computer and reload everything, or maybe try that "Repair function" by booting to the XP disc ?
    Well its always best to try and fix the problem and understand why its happening. If that becomes a chore and to much time spent without a solution here's the steps I always take...

I try to remember what I (or someone else) did to the PC right before the problems started, then I undo. If that fails....

System Restore- I always go back to a point where things worked fine, System Restore is nice because it eliminates programs that may be causing the problem. If that doesn't work.....

XP Repair- Usually always works for me, you'll need to install SP2 and updates after. Remember that XP Repair only fixes a broken OS, it doesn't fix programs that are causing problems.

Format & clean install- This is the last resort for me but it sure in the heck is a good one

All the above is what I suggest.

I have backups and Image of my HD, thats what I'll use if the need ever arises.

Get your PC working perfect and make an Image or Backup

Titanium Member
    sfc /Scannow should fit in that list nicely.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    sfc /Scannow should fit in that list nicely.
    It should but its my list so it doesn't

I never use "sfc /Scannow" , its like a cheap half done XP Repair. If your going to use the CD and wait and still install updates after... might as well go for the gusto of XP Repair