Thread: Does my Word 2002 provide for a Language Bar?

Does my Word 2002 provide for a Language Bar?

If it does I am damned if I can get it to appear as a button in my Word Formatting Menu. Or ANYWHERE. I would like to do this so I could select the German language on occasion so I could be able to put a diaresis mark (2 periods) over certain letters). What do I need to do to get the Language Bar to appear?

Well, I clicked on the Office Assistant, type in "Language bar" and came up with:

The Language bar appears in the upper-right corner of the screen in Microsoft Office programs. It is used for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, and Input Method Editors (IME).

Show the Language bar

• Right-click the language indicator button in the status area on the Microsoft Windows taskbar, and then select Show the Language bar. For example, if you're working in English, you'll see EN in the status area.

Where's the status area?
    ===========

I am not sure what the MS Windows Taskbar is--not even sure I have one. (?????). Closest thing I can see is the Normal, Web, Print Layout, Outline buttons at the bottom of the page and below that

Page 1 Section 1 1/1 At 1" Ln 1 Col 1 REC TRK EXT OVR ENG (US) and then the spelling/grammar check icon. Could these be the MS Windows taskbar--I don't know, but would not think so.

I also ran across this in My Word Help Menu:

To restore the language bar:

On the Windows Start Menu, click Settings > Ctrl Panel. Double click "text Services". But in my XP Home Edition Ctrl Panel I have no "text SVS" buton.

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    Right-click the language indicator button in the status area on the Microsoft Windows taskbar, and then select Show the Language bar. For example, if you're working in English, you'll see EN in the status area.

Where's the status area?
    Look at the screenshot i have attached.(click the thumbnail image to enlarge)

Right click any blank part of the taskbar,(see arrow in the screenshot), and then select Toolbars > Language bar.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Titanium Member
    Assuming you have the language pack installed and enabled - ControlPanel/regional and language options/etc - If you are missing the language bar by right clicking the taskbar/toolbars/languagebar - then you can add this to registry so it will appear: (save with ".reg" extention then right click merge into registry)

Code:
     Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{540D8A8B-1C3F-4E32-8132-530F6A502090}]
    @="Language bar"
    "MenuTextPUI"="@%SystemRoot%\\System32\\msutb.dll,-325"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{540D8A8B-1C3F-4E32-8132-530F6A502090}\Implemented Categories]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{540D8A8B-1C3F-4E32-8132-530F6A502090}\Implemented Categories\{00021492-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{540D8A8B-1C3F-4E32-8132-530F6A502090}\InProcServer32]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\msutb.dll"
    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\CTF\LangBar]
    "ShowStatus"=dword:00000004
    Reverend's screenshot is not showing so I'll put one up
    Last edited by lynchknot; July 7th, 2005 at 18:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    Reverend's screenshot is not showing so I'll put one up
    I can see it

Titanium Member
    I refreshed and it turned up Reverend.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchknot
    I refreshed and it turned up Reverend.

Reverend...thanks.

Lynchknot...OK, I have the Language Bar icon in my taskbar now, left clicking on it and selecting "settings" shows the only language available is U.S. English.

Now, I don't want to type reams in German. I only want to be able typing in English to add a diaresis (2 periods above a letter) when I type a German word. Example: Konigstein should have the diaresis above the 'o'--at least in Germany it would. I want to be able to just add the diaresis in Word and my email program when I type in English. Does this mean I must download and install the German language (or some program) and if so, where would I go to get it? I suppose I do have the option of using the character map instead.

Have you tried the Character Map.

You can use Character Map to view the characters that are available in a selected font. Character Map displays the following character sets: Windows, DOS, and Unicode.

You can copy individual characters or a group of characters to the Clipboard and paste them into any program that can display them. Or, depending on the program you are using you can even copy characters by dragging them from Character Map directly into an open document.

Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Character Map.

Select the font you want from the drop down menu at the top of the map,then scroll through the selection of characters.Highlight the one you want then click the Select button and then the Copy button.

Open your document and paste the character where you want it,or you can drag the character from the map to the document.

Titanium Member
    Yep, you don't need language bar.

Yep, tried the language bar--and I was already familiar with the Character Map. I just thought the Language Bar would be simpler than the Character Map. I picked up the bit I hadn't been aware of namely how to get the diaresis over the letter (vowel) in question from my daughter in law. (My Language Bar is now setup so I can select German or English.)

So to get the diaresis over the 'o in "Konigstein" for example, I just have German selected in the Language Bar, then in Word I type 'K' and then the colon/semicolon key and lo and behold there appears the 'o' with the diaresis over it. Neat, huh!

Don't know yet if this can be done in Eudora. Oh zes, I do. Just tried it and it worked just fine!!!