Thread: Internet connection problem

Internet connection problem

Hey guys,I've been having this problem for a while now but do not know whats causing it.Here;s the deal..

I am running windows XP Pro on my system.I use Verizon online DSL ISP.Everything was working fine with my old DSL modem and router (provided by verizon) But about 2 months ago i upgraded my firewall (Zone Alarm Security Suite latest edition) and also got a new wireless DSL router/modem combo.After i added the new firewall and modem/router combo i started having trouble with my connection.

Everything will work fine but if i leave my PC alone for say a few hours it seems to drop the internet connection but still says it's connected.At this time i can not view any webpages and Disconnecting/reconnecting doesnt help.

The only way i can once again get connected is by restarting my entire PC.Now i have a feeling this may either be some sort of internet setting or possibly a setting in Zone Alarm.

So my question is does anyone know what might be causing this or how i could go about finding out?Thanks as always for any help.

Did you call your ISP and activate the new modem?

All activation was already complete.With verizon online evertything is actually done online with the install CD.Since i already had an account all i had to do was install the new software,choose existing account,put in my info and thats all.I already called Vwerizon Tech support a few times but they seem to not understand the problem.

no, its probably not your isp or router (well maybe it is, i'm dumb). go to the command prompt and type ipconfig /all . in the list of your network devices find the adapter that's connected and look to see when your 'lease expires'. if the difference between 'lease obtained' and 'lease expires' is about the couple of hours that you mention, then your dhcp lease isn't long enough. unforunately, i haven't got a clue how to fix this... try googling or looking in your router settings.

hope that helps

*edit* to clear things up, the dhcp lease is the time the router allows you to have your ip address. there are several ways of renewing your ip. you can either restart your pc, like you said, or you can type ipconfig /renew to renew your dhcp ip address
    The King of all things that aren't to do with Java...

Go Linux!

You run linux, you crash windows!

My Legend of the Green Dragon Server!
    sirjavabean.hyspex.com/lotgd

Thanks for the info sirjavabean,this indeed seems to be the problem!I notice that this problem usually happens overnight.for example it will work all day the the next morning it stops requiring a restart.just found out that the lease is set for 24 hours.I will contact my provider for info on how to fix this.

no, its not your isp thats the problem. try looking in the router manual (if you've still got it) or do a search on google
    The King of all things that aren't to do with Java...

Go Linux!

You run linux, you crash windows!

My Legend of the Green Dragon Server!
    sirjavabean.hyspex.com/lotgd