Thread: Database Backup using phpMyAdmin

Database Backup using phpMyAdmin

All these options are confusing me. Does anyone here know which ones should be checked and which ones not?

I don't know if this is relevant, but the database is for a phpBB forum.

Look under each section for the bits you desire and consider the state the database will be in if you have to re-install from scratch. You will be starting from a 'empty' MySQL database but the structure is created by the phpBB install. It is a VERY GOOD idea to export the dump and try installing a new server and importing it - just to be sure.

I would go for
    EXPORT - SQL
    STRUCTURE - add IF NOT EXISTS, enclose TABLE and FIELD names in backquotes
    DATA - EXPORT type INSERT
    SAVE AS FILE - you can save a backup to the server but you can save it to your local machine by unchecking the box and it will pop up a download dialog.

Like I said checking you can import to a clean install is a very good idea, too late to find a problem if you don't do it til you 'HAVE' to do it.

If you can connect via a port 3306 connection a program like mysqlfront will also do it for you.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Thanks for the advice It is a very good idea to verify a backup whatever it is for. But do you know how I can test it? Are there free hosts that have PHP and MySQL? Or can I do it on my own host? Hope I'm not making myself sound like a n00b, but I don't know much about these things.

You can try restoring it to a test forum software with a test database on your server. just install it into someplace where your visitors won't be able to access it.

I don't think mine allows more than one database

You can get it all on your own PC - oh yes.

For windows 9x-Me (if that's what you use) you can use EasyPHP download from http://www.easyphp.org/ it's very lovely and will install and configure Apache/PHP/MySQL for you in a few clicks - including phpMyAdmin etc...

If you got a NT OS (NT/W2k/XP) then the WAMP package does the same for you get it over at http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php

You can set it up so it only runs when you start it rather than running as a service if you only want it for testing purposes or as a service if you want to run a webserver on your PC (not recommended).
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Thanks, Curio. I'm excited to try that!

Curio, well done, good advice, technically correct, and to the point.