As is my habit, I periodically run my scanners while in safemode to guard against any particularly nasty intruder. You know, the ones that try to hide below the radar, so to speak. The safemode reboot resulted in an auto reboot. I have attempted to force safemode through every avenue available including HAK. Even Advanced Users Control Panel and Recovery Console have been no help. Repair install, System File Checker, chkdsk /r, you name it. I have run every scanner known to man, I think. Scanners have been run from system and online. From HiJack This on down, nothing reveals nothing. All drivers are XP compatible. CPU temp is 62C. I have checked and rechecked, repaired and re-repaired. The only thing I can find is in Event Viewer System log. Source is Svr, ID is 2000; this shows as an error code. MS Knowleged Base has no info. The Web has nothing except references to a problem with Win2000/NT. That recommends a servpack. BTW, MS Baseline Security Analyzer also gives clean bill of health. Call me crazy, but I think that something is hooking the function call with a redirect to a psuedo safemode screen which is being used to cover a boot call. Does this make sense to anyone. Is it possible. I need some truly serious help. I'll dance at your wedding, sing at your funeral, AND, vote for you in the next election; if you could only help me out.