Page 13 of 58 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: desktop

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

MANDRAKExp

Just installed a new theme on my Mandrake 8.2 KDE windowed environment. I call it MandrakeXP. hehehe

What do you think? I wish there were a way to change the start button to reflect the work start, instead of go...
    BB

sorry I had to put it in the text message..
    http://www.bigbooger.netfirms.com/snapshot1.jpg
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 10th, 2002 at 08:10 AM.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Want a hacked (by me) shell32.dll? Make your stuff look way better.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Titanium Member
    Replace the IE/crazybrowser toolbar icons? Can you do that Piaqt? Please tell me how.

1. Download resource hacker. There are posts elsewhere with the url. Or do a ggogle search for it.
    2. Search \system32\ for all crazy browser dlls. For IE it's shell32.dll
    3. Extract all the bitmaps. Save them with the same numerical names they have in the dll.
    4. Save shell32 as <other location>\shell32.dll Save the bitmaps to the same place.
    5. Modify/replace what you don't like. TSS2000.nl has some nice replacement bitmaps. (icons/shell32/silver_IE)
    6. For the toolbar, it's bitmaps #204-207.

7. Do NOT make me nuts by being incompetent. Please. You have a brain. Use it.
    7. Use your loaf, and I'll post how to replace a protected OS file.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Titanium Member
    Originally posted by piaqt
    7. Do NOT make me nuts by being incompetent. Please. You have a brain. Use it.
    7. Use your loaf, and I'll post how to replace a protected OS file. [/B]
    Excuse me? ...inexperience (3.5 months) ..........not incompetence.
    Nevermind............................Forget I even asked.
    I think CB uses IE's shell 32
    Last edited by lynchknot; August 10th, 2002 at 19:08 PM.

Here is mine for this month

( Click for full view )

Blackwar

Originally posted by lynchknot

Excuse me? ...inexperience (3.5 months) ..........not incompetence.
    Exactly what I meant by use your loaf. I'm self-taught. All I meant was, try and figure things out, and don't just throw up your hands and say, "I don't know how to do this."

The only way I've found to gain knowledge and experience is to try and figure things out yourself. Hit the KB. A LOT. Worked wonders for me.

Peace?

love, piaqt

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    So Piaqt....having a great day

Titanium Member
    Ahh.....yea........i'd rather learn by asking questions..a couple of days ago I had to reformat... lost alot of good stuff. I'm not "throwing my hands up" in aggravation over trying to understand. It's this conversation i'm saying "Nevermind............................Forget I even asked"
    If you have a problem with me asking something that is simple for you to do, just don't answer. I don't like being insulted any more than the next person. I'm not being lazy - i'm trying to avoid mistakes.

"Hit the KB"? - I don't know what that means.
    Last edited by lynchknot; August 10th, 2002 at 23:15 PM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    lynch,
    YOu have to understand PIa, she is a mix between a pitbull and a sabertooth tiger... gotta watch out for her...
    HEHEHE

She gave you some good directions on changing the icons and stuff in IE. Now I don't know if you can apply that or not to crazy broswer, but do keep us updated on your progress. And Lynch, pay no attention to Pia's comments, she means well LOL
    YOu are welcome to ask whatever you want on here as well lynch, no matter how easy or difficult the question.
    BB

Titanium Member
    Thanks BB, i'm cool. I do appreciate the directions - though they seem a bit vague to me. I'm not going to attempt it again and screw up. I wish there was an icon tweak prog. that would take care of this. Anyway, I haven't seen any good "shell 32" replacements that appeal to me - yet.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Not to worry anybody!!! The king of stupid questions is back
    I do a lot of stupid questions that could have been answered by just making a search in google. so never feel bad about doing the same.
    I do preffer also to learn by myself. Actually doing it is the only way I learn. I am very bad at to studying. So practice is the best way for me to learn, but I just don't have the time anymore. I don't have the time to search for it or to try to do it, so I can only ask about it.
    Another point I haven't been able to even understand the latest post here, so I am just reading in the side.
    Also, if I don't ask, I might go crazy looking for something. For example everytime I search technet I can spend hours there, because if I am not sure what I am looking for, I get too many posible hits. And it is even worse with google. To look in google you have to know what you are looking for, or you might end up lose in a sea of sites
    Which sometimes is good. I think that way I ended up here
    This is a great place because I have learn a lot, and I can talk about tech stuff, which I can do much otherwise because I have no people around in the computer area. So I am the expert here, and I don't consider myself a very good expert. Good old BB knows a lot. I have been wanting to find a knowledge transfer device. It will help us a lot
    He is a smart guy!!!
    And reverend also, everytime he writes he writes the just answer.
    Lynch you are welcome to keep asking questions
    I know Piaqt will keep answering too

Titanium Member
    Another point I haven't been able to even understand the latest post here, so I am just reading in the side.
    Huh? You mean my post?

The reason I ask how to do something is because I tried to replace my shell 32 icons and I screwed up. I ended up having to reinstall XP and losing everything.
    I would rather ask questions than to have to go through that again.
    I have learned alot in 3.5 months from doing AND asking alot of questions.
    Sometimes asking a person is better than researching it - at least if I don't understand something I can paraphrase it and it can be rephrased in a form that I would understand. Sometimes, while following instructions, they tell you to do something but they leave out HOW to.

No honest question is stupid..........

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    well, I don't understand about shell32 icons, or whatever they are. By default I am scare of everything that is ^$%$#*32 or .dll, so I don't mess with the OS. Windows doesn't seen to like very much when I play around with this, and I am so tired of reformating my HD that I avoid dangerous moves
    but I would love to learn about it. While I learn more, I don't brake it anymore (or I brake more some times)

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    At the count of three follow me...1...2...3 now place your fore finger on your thumb to form an O...now repeat after me..AHMMMM , AHMMMM , ahhhmmmmm.....now don't we all feel better ?

Hey lynchknot everything is cool , you don't need to explain yourself , what everyone is saying is your right in asking till you understand or anyone for that matter should ask cuz were all here to help , at any level.....

Have a good day & see ya around