Thread: Ie 7.0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ie 7.0

IE 7.0 - Still a disappointment.

LINK
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I tried the Beta and I couldn't stand the layout hence I removed it from my system. It's pretty early though to condemn it based on a Beta.

I don't want to give the wrong impression. I have not tried the beta. I was just posting the news article. I found it interesting reading. These points were the most interesting to me.

"The most critical point in Wilson's post, in my mind, is Microsoft's admission that it will fail the crucial Acid2 browser-compliance test , which the Web Standards Project (WaSP) designed to help browser vendors ensure that their products properly support Web standards."

And

"Microsoft blames backward-compatibility problems for the stalemate over true Web standards compatibility. Put succinctly, the company has gone its own way for so long and now has to support so many developers who use nonstandard Web technologies that it will be impossible to make IE Web-standards-compliant without breaking half the commercial Web sites on the planet."

And the author's opinion -

"My advice is simple: Boycott IE. It's a cancer on the Web that must be stopped. IE isn't secure and isn't standards-compliant, which makes it unworkable both for end users and Web content creators."
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar
    I just downloaded the new beta. I am sure it is for XP but each time I try to install it... it fails. Any ideas how to get it on the system?

You sure you aren't using a bootleg copy of XP, Denyse? I remember it validates before installation.

No, it is 100% Genuine Microsoft. I still have the Microsoft box that it came in. When I try to install, the program does the verification check, starts to run, copies files and then the install crashes.

I have my Anti-virus program turned off. I have also turned off Zone Alarm Pro, as well as everything else in the tray.

I could send you mine to check the file's OK. My installation failed the first time too, but after restarting, it worked. I think ZoneAlarm had interfered with it the first time.

Banned
    Using IE involves u into getting spywares! and that sux!! so I preffer Opera!
    But this IE 7.0 seems pretty good d'after the infos I looked up on the net, but you guys dont reassure me...

I am still totally out of luck. I guess I will have to wait until another beta comes out. I hear a lot of people are having the same problems.

My very sincere thanks to everyone who has tried to help me. It is really appreciated.

I grabbed this from another board. The poster said I could share if I wished.

Quote Originally Posted by Farquard
    Yes, you read that right. It is possible to run IE7 without installing onto your system.

First you need to download a copy of IE7 Beta 1

Then use WINRAR to extract the files into a directory. I would suggest that you do so to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer 7

Next look through the directory until you find SHLWAPI.DLL rename this file to SHLWAPI.ORG

Now goto C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and locate the file wininet.dll and rename that to wininet.org

Copy wininet.dll from the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer 7 and put it into the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory.

Now create a BLANK text file named IEXPLORE.exe.local and save it to the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer 7 directory.

Now you can run IE7 by double clicking on the program in the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer 7 directory.

Side note... by doing it this way, you do not change anything in the working of IE6 as well.

Banned
    Ill try that but I hope it doest screw up my pc, cuz I just reformatted it.

If anyone has tryed the above method of using IE7 beta without screwing up IE6 please let me know i'd like to test the beta out but dont want to screw up IE6

I am using it right now. There are bugs, but it does work. Just nice to "screw" around with for a change.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Denyse01
    I am using it right now. There are bugs, but it does work. Just nice to "screw" around with for a change.
    Off topic, your Sig is getting "nicer" as time goes by!

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Off topic, your Sig is getting "nicer" as time goes by!
    You have some sort of Braille monitor too?!