Thread: client could not connect to remote computer

client could not connect to remote computer

Hi all,

I am an Oracle DBA where I work, but the sys admin buggered off to Europe and I have become de facto Windows 2003 system admin.

Our "consultant" said take terminal server role off our server, that we didn't need it cuz 2003 has two remote connections built in. So I took off the TS role using the configure your server wizard. Afterwards, when I try to connect signed on from my xp pro work station I get "client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connection might not be enabled....etc"

I can connect to other computers on the network from my client. Active Directory is set up and there is only the one server. In system properties "Remote tab Allow users to connect ..." check box is checked but greyed out. Terminal Services manager mmc shows the server on the tree on the left with a big red circle and cross out over it. When I click on it, the right pane says "you could not be authenticated on this server". I have been all over the place trying to figure this out. I would appreciate any help.

Best regards, Joe Taylor

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jitaylor
    Hi all,

I am an Oracle DBA where I work, but the sys admin buggered off to Europe and I have become de facto Windows 2003 system admin.

Our "consultant" said take terminal server role off our server, that we didn't need it cuz 2003 has two remote connections built in. So I took off the TS role using the configure your server wizard. Afterwards, when I try to connect signed on from my xp pro work station I get "client could not connect to the remote computer. Remote connection might not be enabled....etc"

I can connect to other computers on the network from my client. Active Directory is set up and there is only the one server. In system properties "Remote tab Allow users to connect ..." check box is checked but greyed out. Terminal Services manager mmc shows the server on the tree on the left with a big red circle and cross out over it. When I click on it, the right pane says "you could not be authenticated on this server". I have been all over the place trying to figure this out. I would appreciate any help.

Best regards, Joe Taylor

Error Message:

You could not be authenticated on this server.
    Explanation:

There are three possible causes for this error: 1) The server has been shut down. 2) You have not been authorized to access the server. 3) Terminal Services is not running on the server.
    User Action:

To correct this problem: 1) Restart the server. 2) Contact the person with administrative rights on the server to obtain permission to access the server. 3) Start Terminal Services on the server.