Thread: Slow logon for clients

Unhappy Slow logon for clients

I have a windows 2003 standard edition server, and have all Windows XP sp 2 workstations, last week a problem with the server (2 hour logon, DHCP stopped, DNS stopped, infact 80 percent of services stopped) forced me to reformat and re-install, (by the way the backupexec service stopped too so no valid backup).

I reinstalled and all seems happy with the server, so i dropped all the xp workstations down to work group and re-joned the domain, i copied the old profiles to the NEW one but its taking around 5 mins per machine to log in, it also does this but takes longer with a NEW profile DNS and DHCP is all ok and all pcs and switches are netgear 1gig and all running at that.

Any ideas would be greatfully received.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.computing.net/windows2003...orum/3231.html

Quite a few respones concerning this issue at computing.net

Some say that if it is not over 10 minutes, consider it normal.

But I think the below might be your problem:

Check your DNS server configuration. It might not configured properly to resolve hosts record. Open the DNS console. See that you have a zone with the same name as your AD domain . Ck that within it you have the 4 SRV record folders.(_msdcs, _sites, _TCP,& _UPD )They must exist.

Five minutes to logon is considered long.

I have the same problem with sbs 2003,sometimes the clients take 5-8 min to login, only difference is the fact that the laptop i use logs in within 10 seconds and also shows up in the DNS folder as a host right along with the serveras a host. Is this the problem with the other clients(there are only ten clients in total on this domain controller.

Red face

I won't try to pull the wool over anyones eyes"I am new to this SBS 2003 OS",It was a project that seemed to land in my lap once it was configured to accept data from the clients(who used to be peer to peer)It has been a slow haul as everything needs to be looked at from all angles with this.

Any Info at all is greatly appreciated and taken very seriously

I found the problem after some further searching, the stationary clients were pointed to the router as a DNS,and the laptop was pointed to the server as DNS.All Clients show up in the DNS folder now and the login is down to about 10 seconds.

this is apparently a common problem when upgrading to a 2003 box from a peer to peer network(basically an oversight).

DNS primary server on the clients should be the SBS box and login should typically be less than 30 secs. It helps if the DHCP server is also the SBS but not strictly necessary. Client machines should be set to register themselves in DNS and if you want to go for the car you can put a hosts entry in the hosts file on the clients pointing to the SBS box.

SBS2003 is generally quite lovely but make sure you are doing regular backups or the transaction logs for Exchange will soon begin to mount up and eat your hard disk.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Thanks Curio,
    The one question that i need to ask right now is -- If exchange isn't turned on in this box,does it still require logging for that portion of sbs 2003?
    This SBS doesn't yet have that turned on.

Jonhas