Thread: Genius Office Assistant in Office XP

Genius Office Assistant in Office XP

Does anyone know a solution to the problem of trying to get the Genius Office Assistant working in Office XP. There is one solution posted on various sites and forums which suggests putting genius.acs into the Office10 folder and then renaming it to one of the existing working assistants. I cannot get this method to work. Has anyone else had any success? Is there another way?

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar
    It worked for me in Office XP. There are two "genius" files not one. I replaced that stupid paper clip! In fact, I just installed Office 2003 today, and adding that cute little feller was the first thing I did.

And if this ditzy Red-head can do it, anyone can do it!

Genius in Office XP

Dear Denyse01

thank you for your reply to my query. I still can't get it to work. Would you mind talking me through it with a reply message. For the record I am using Windows XP Professional and Office 2002 XP.

Thanks ever so much.

drfeelgood.

I sent you a PM yesterday with the step by step... but for others, I will repost that message here.......
    Genius

You need these two files. ( I have them and can send them to you if necessary )
    GENIUS.ACG
    GENIUS.ACS

You need to replace one of the WORKING helpers that are already on your system. You cannot just add the Genius to it.

I used the paper clip as I really hate that one.

What you do is rename the TWO files that are for the Paper Clip files
    CLIPPIT.ACG
    CLIPPIT.ACS

Then rename the Genius Files to what the Paper Clip files were.

So it is GENIUS.ACG becomes the new CLIPPIT.ACG
    and the GENIUS.ACS becomes the new CLIPPIT.ACS

Now when you restart office and choose to change helpers, where the Paper Clip (Clippet) showed up you will GENIUS.

Thank you.

Still no joy, I think I shall give up! I did exactly as you said but when I restarted and tried to change the Assistant I got an error message saying "The Office Assistant previews are incomplete or corrupted. Would you like to try reinstalling them". If you say no you just lose the original clippit but get no genius in its place. If you say yes it reinstalls clippit and again no genius.

Oh well...

No idea at this point. I am using the latest version of Office (2003) and it is fine. I used on Office 2000 and Office XP as well.

I wish I could think of something. I will ask around and see what someone else might know.