Thread: Windows protection error.

Silver Member

Windows protection error.

Trying to fix a friends computer. Running Windows 98SE. After bootup is just about complete, I get the following mesage. " WINDOWS PROTECTION ERROR. YOU NEED TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER, PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE". If I press any key to continue, the computer shuts down, and I get the same message again. This is an older computer, about 10 years old. it has 64 meg of ram, and a AMD processor. I was able to get into safe mode, and I ran ad-aware, onlytwo items that I removed. I also ran easy cleaner, and there were no invalid entries to the registry. I could not run AVG from safe mode. Suggestions, please.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Try this:

Go into safe mode and uninstall the video drivers via add/remove.

Reboot,and reinstall the video drivers.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You can also try running SCANREG /RESTORE from Safe mode\Command Prompt. There should be several dates to choose from, pick 1 prior to the errors beginning.

Plz understand this is not a System Restore and that you will absolutely lose anything that was done or changes that were made back to the point you chose, as it is reloading an older copy of the registry.

Silver Member
    I thought the problem had something to do with the video, because sometimes I would get a message that "There was a problem with the display settings etc, that it did not match the hardware etc". Once, I was able to reset the video display, and it looted up properly. Then I shut down and at reboot, the error message returned. Once I got a message that there was a problem loading "AVGCORE" I researched Google and found that it was related to AVG antivirus, so I removed AVG and all is well the last several boot ups. I still have an uneasy feeling about that video thing. I do not have any disks with the drivers on. If I deleted the video things, will Windows reload the proper drivers, or will it ask me to insert the disk with the drivers on ?

rik--the operating system is Windows 98, I did not thing Win 98 has a restore feature like XP ??

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It doesn't have a "Restore" feature per se. But it does keep several older copies of the registry and you can access those as I listed previously.

BTW there is a space between SCANREG and the forward slash /.

SCANREG /RESTORE

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike13
    If I deleted the video things, will Windows reload the proper drivers, or will it ask me to insert the disk with the drivers on ?
    It may reload the drivers that you uninstalled.If it gives the option just use the standard 98 ones for now just to get you back into the system.Then download a fresh set.

Alternatively,if you have access to another machine with internet,download the correct drivers and copy them to a disc. You can then use this disc to reload the drivers onto your friends machine.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

dear mike13
    this problem from some things:
    1- ram is short need to change
    2- fan of cpu not working good and the cpu is get high temp
    3- there is some capstor in motherbord near the power plug damige try to change it
    if the vga bultin in motherbord fapric any coolheatr to vga ic

good look

Reverend's right. That's what I did and it worked...